• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gov't CUCV Modification?

idM1028

So the data plate on my CUCV says its an M1028. Not M1028A-anything. Just M1028. However, there were some things that were confusing me like why the truck had an NP205 transfer case (only used on M1028A1's and M1031's) . I just accepted that that was the way it came from the factory (which led to some pretty epic disagreements.) However, I was looking today and found my data plate with the registration # (more info for carnac :) ) and another data plate below that that basically said truck had been modified into a M1028A1 in June of '92 :? Anybody else ever heard of or seen this?

Darwin T

mine says M1028A2/3 and has a split yoke NP-205. however it has a maintance bed like the M1031, however, i found out today it is a dodge maintance bed. go figure that one. from what i have read the M1028A2's were upgrades and the M1028A3's were built that way from the start. the specks are the same so the data plate reads M1028A2/3. i think you have to go by the registration #. upgrades are a way of life in the military.

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So the data plate on my CUCV says its an M1028. Not M1028A-anything. Just M1028. However, there were some things that were confusing me like why the truck had an NP205 transfer case (only used on M1028A1's and M1031's) . I just accepted that that was the way it came from the factory (which led to some pretty epic disagreements.) However, I was looking today and found my data plate with the registration # (more info for carnac :) ) and another data plate below that that basically said truck had been modified into a M1028A1 in June of '92 :? Anybody else ever heard of or seen this?
If your vin number on your truck has the 3rd digit as a "B" then your truck started life as a M1031 which was a C&C, no bed, thus the "conversion" into a M1028a1. One of my M1028a2s has a "C" as the 3rd digit, so apparently there were M1028a1s that WEREN'T converted, yours and mine were though.

Attachments

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine was converted from an M1031 to M1028A1 in '92 and has the Contact Maintenance body on it.

idM1028

If your vin number on your truck has the 3rd digit as a "B" then your truck started life as a M1031 which was a C&C, no bed, thus the "conversion" into a M1028a1. One of my M1028a2s has a "C" as the 3rd digit, so apparently there were M1028a1s that WEREN'T converted, yours and mine were though.
Yep. I just looked up the VIN. Third digit is a "B". Kinda curious why the data plate on the door says its just a plain Jane M1028. And why they waited 6 years to convert it. I'm also gonna have to check the modification data plate. Your 2nd and mine seem eerily similar (at least same month/year and same location for modification) Either way this is starting to get fun. Like genealogy for military vehicles.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My paperwork says "M1028 shelter carrier" from Ft Bragg, Came stack with 4" aluminum blocks for lift. What do you have connecting the axles to the springs..?

idM1028

My paperwork says "M1028 shelter carrier" from Ft Bragg, Came stack with 4" aluminum blocks for lift. What do you have connecting the axles to the springs..?
Nothing special. Its a pretty typical leaf set up with SERIOUSLY LONG U-bolts. Sorry about the first pic. The camera wanted to be flaky, but everything you need to see is in there. The second pic is one of a funky block at the top of the leaf pack. Doesn't seem to serve any purpose other than to keep the U-bolts in place. Now with that being said. . .
Did the truck have HMMWV tires (possibly also wheels) on it when you got it? Did 4wd work? The way you got the truck may have been the way the army used it. My best buddy told me that when he was going through PRC (Pre-Ranger Course) down here that they had a CUCV out at the PRC site that had been lifted up to fit HMMWV tires on it and 4wd that didn't work. Who knows? You might just have that truck.

Attachments

Darwin T

Darwin T,

Did you get your M1031 out of CA ? Nice truck.
thanks, i got it out of Highland Hights, IL from jeff at motorsourceinc.com. they get their trucks from cali, AZ and other places like that to get rustfree trucks. flew to Chicago, IL and drove it back to Texas. my recovery thread is "General Lee Euro Farquaad"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks