• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

gp info.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What brand?

Did you modify the supply source?

rsh4364

I bought it this way, so not sure,was told to slow count to 1 thousand ten with toggle on, then start..and by the way thankyou so much for your starter relay upgrade, I was a victim of starter runaway and almost gave up on my 1009!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, with no definite info, I'd say 10 seconds or less, to be safe.

Hasdrubal

I have manual glow plug operation with AC60's. I find they need more time the original plugs it came with. If the wait light goes out after 7 seconds, I give it another 7. basically double the wait light period. Fires up quicker this way. This is more than safe as the AC60's take 20 seconds to get to the maximum temperature of 1850 F. I also after glow, say 7 seconds after start up. If its really cold I'll wait 10 seconds and give it a second after glow of 7 seconds.

Of course if you have the original plugs; AC-9 or AC-11, I think AC-13 was even used, disregard this. They are 6 volt plugs that are supposed to be fast heating so they will only need what the wait light shows. Frankly I'm surprised anyone is still running these as they have been obsolete for many years. They burn out easily and swell.

How it is that you can buy a CUCV and still have these plugs reminds me of the scvmbag low-life I once called a friend. When I first got my CUCV the plugs burned out the first month when the key was left on while working on the truck. As I knew very little diesel-wise back then, asked if he could get me plugs. Sure, $220.00. Get it on the road, 3 months later, hard starting issues start. Begin reading SteelSoldiers, test plugs..4 are no good. Go to parts store, couldn't get originals if I wanted, AC60g's had replaced them. Take the old plugs out. He had put in a bunch of used AC-11's that he had lying around and pocketed my $220.

Last edited:

85CUCVtom

I have a manual button set up and AC 60G plugs. On a cold morning I do a good 15 second glow. After starting I post glow for 5 seconds on 5 seconds off, maybe twice, depending on how cold it is.

I'm sick of the push button though. My truck came that way from the previous owner, he was too cheap to replace the controller card. I'm going back to the controller card set up when I get some extra cash.

wayne pick

I have a manual GP setup on mine, but depending on how cold it is the cycle times are guesswork. 10 seconds, sputter, cough and 5 more seconds of heat usually gets it running in 20 degree temps, but sometimes i'll have to repeat the same heat times again. If the truck sits for a few days, thats another story. If I know the tempratures are going to really drop at night, i'll fire it up and let it run untill I get some warm air from the heater before I turn in for the night, PITA, but it will fire up the next morning with no problem. Im going back to the card also. I think there is alot of unnecessary cranking with a manual GP system becuase it's tough to get the cycle times right, and by not heating long enough for fear of burning up the GP's.

cucv1833

I have a manual set up and AC-60s. I used to hold the button for 10-15 seconds it worked Ok.

After of few months of that I overhauled my entire GP system and brought it back to stock and left the push button as a back up. I like it alot better. My truck never started better and you dont have to give someone instructions on how to start your truck if they need to drive it.

Barrman

A good way to understand how long to give them power is to remove one. Set it in a vice and put 12 volts to it. Count how long it takes to get all red. If you don't have 60G plugs, that is your maximum glow time. If you do have 60G plugs, it really doesn't matter except for how much battery you use up leaving them on.

85CUCVtom

I have a manual set up and AC-60s. I used to hold the button for 10-15 seconds it worked Ok.

After of few months of that I overhauled my entire GP system and brought it back to stock and left the push button as a back up. I like it alot better. My truck never started better and you dont have to give someone instructions on how to start your truck if they need to drive it.
Not having to give someone crazy detailed instructions on how to start your truck is really nice.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't forget, you'll need to install new 1/4" female blade connectors on your wires.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks