• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GP issues

drewmech

So my 84 M1009 had a crank no start with the GP solenoid chattering away. So load tested batteries all good. Checked continuity on the solenoid and had an intermittent ground post (post with the blue wire attached). So removed and replaced with a ST85 from Napa. Big thanks to the people who posted about that part number! Failed test and check with the same issue. If I attach a ground to the post with the blue wire I get a short wait cycle and it kicks right up. For testing purposes I ran a ground from the blue post to the negative terminal of the front battery. So tomorrow morning (it’s too hot to keep working in the driveway today) I’m gonna follow the blue wire and check my grounds. If I don’t find anything there I’m at loss as to what to do next. Install a ground switch and manually cycle the plugs? Or do I have a controller fault? Anything else I should be looking for?

drewmech

ok so today I found out that my multimeter was fried. No chasing wires. Pulled all 8 glow plugs. None swollen but 3 had holes in them and had metal buildup. All 8 were AC Delco units. As the odometer shows 49k on it I’m gonna guess they’re original. Wondering if the holes would cause the plugs to ground out. From my understanding the drop in resistance would cause the solenoid to stop applying power but the temp wouldn’t be high enough so it would immediately try to reapply power causing the chatter. Is my thinking flawed on this? The clips that attach to the glow plugs look alittle rough so while I’m in there why not replace the wiring? Thanks Leroy Diesel for having what I needed! Wiring looks factory so good times to be had with that. Still trying to figure out how to test the controller card. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

87cr250r

There are two glow plugs you can use. The AC Delco 13G and 60G. The 60G is the better plug but it has a wider terminal so your harness will not fit without modification. You probably won't notice a difference in performance so it go whichever route is easier for you. If you go 60G, I suggest using the correct Packard 56 series terminals as the basic spade terminals loosen up after only a few plugging cycles. The 6.5 engines came with porcelain sockets but if you can't find sockets you can slip some silicone or fiberglass sleeving over the connection.

DO NOT run anything other than AC Delco plugs. The other brands all swell when they fail.

drewmech

Ordered AC Delco 60G plugs and the harness from Leroy Diesel. Thanks for the feed back! Started pulling apart the harness today. Found that fuseable links have been replaced with crimps. Not a huge deal but makes me wonder why the last guy went so crazy with the electrical tape. Also noticed a sensor on the back end of the drivers side head is not looking good. Trying to figure out what it is. I’ll get a picture posted tomorrow. Thanks for all the help!

87cr250r

I bought this one. It seems to be working correctly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks