• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GP relay clicks but no heat. Need help

bp m1009

Last weekend my truck wouldnt start after sitting for a few days. I thought it was a fuel issue so i bought a FM100 style filterbase and installed it this weekend. I took the GPs out to crank the engine and while they were out i decided to test them. When i jump them to the battery they heat right up, but if i plug one in to the green gp wire and ground it turn my manual gp switch on the relay clicks but the plug does nothing no heat at all. Is this a bad gp relay? Even though it clicks, also the volt gauge doesnt drop either. I tried searching, because im sure this has been discussed but im on my phone and i need to get her running today to get home. Any input would be appreciated, thanks guys

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
More that likely the GP relay is bad. They build up carbon on the contacts and will not allow currnet to flow.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Napa St85 is the first one that comes to mind.

Advanced Auto S603

others are listed in the wiki and FAQ

Last edited:

Hammer

Last week I just pulled my stock one apart, flipped the contacts and disc around, put back together and it works just fine.
For now at least.

bp m1009

well i ended up buying some solenoid for a ford that looked identical to my old one. The advance didnt have any of the S603 and i was desperate so i bought the ford one for $15. I hooked it up and it wouldnt give me a click when i use my GP switch, so i just ended up jumping the 2 terminals on the relay to heat the plugs and she started right up after about 10 seconds of cranking, this is also right after i installed a new FM100 filter unit. hopefully this stops my fuel problems! I guess ill check out egay for the right one. i just ordered a new GP card too from Antennaclimber so i should finally get my GP situation sorted.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You cannot use a "ford" starter relay. It will keep them on whenever the key is on. That will burn them out.

MarcusOReallyus

Hmmm.... Maybe some actual, you know, testing and troubleshooting would be a good idea sometime? Instead of just swapping parts?

It's a lot cheaper that way, and usually quicker, too.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
He can't test, he only has a phone.

Does anyone have a Digital Multi-Meter app?

bp m1009

if i had a multi meter at the time i could have some trouble shooting, but i didnt. The Ford relay i bought does not keep the plugs on with key on, i checked with the plugs out to make sure, it only burns them if i jump the two terminals. Im sorry to everyone who is offended that i didnt troubleshoot it all day, but i was in a pinch with no electrical tools and limited time. The truck was in Baltimore and i needed to be up in Williamsport PA that night, thats a 200mi trip so i did what i had to do.

cpf240

Did you make sure that the ford relay is an isolated ground unit, as the correct relay is? If not, and it is wired the way it was supposed to be, your GEN 1 may be in danger, as this has caused failures before...

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This could have cost you a full set of GPs($80).

If you drive a cucv, you should keep a DMM in the truck.