• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GP Relay Grounded?

tgtaylor64

I noticed on three different M1009s that the glow plug relay is bolted directly to the firewall (metal to metal), and thus grounded. I just purchased a new GPR and noticed that they have nice rubber boots that effectively connect it to the firewall with no grounding. I can see where the rubber would provide some vibration damping when the relay is energized. I studied the TM and it does not indicate to ground the body of the relay. My question is: should it be grounded or not or does it matter?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The relay MUST NOT use the chassis for a ground. If it does the relay will stay energized all the time.

There are two types of relays.

One that uses the mounting bracket as the ground for the coil - DO NOT USE

The other has the coil isolated from the mounting bracket and has its own ground terminal - USE THIS TYPE
It may or may not have rubber feet for vibration control.

Last edited:

HAWKMAN

I've fried a GP card or two grounding the relay.....I wouldn't do it, besides what harm could it do to keep the rubber 'shock' pads on the relay?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found this part number at work for a 93-03 Ford 7.3, AP63405 will this one work also? Runs about 30.00 bucks.
Why would you want to use a ford product on a CHEVY truck.......:razz: