• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GP relay "messin with my head"

sht2kll

Howdy all: I just got some bugs worked out of my GP/12V conversion/fuel problems. My M1008 started having starting issues. Since I did not know when or if the glow plugs were ever Changed, I got the goofy idea they needed changing. I bought a new set of 60G's and put them in. "Wow" What a difference they made..... My truck was even harder to start. Then to go and abuse my poor truck even more, I decided to convert it to 12V. After I was done, the truck would not start at all, but the starter spun the engine over like it was on steroids. The 12V conversion went well. I figured I would troubleshoot the GP's first. I hooked my multimeter to my GP relay, turned the key, and had power going through it. I checked it a couple of times to make sure it worked reliably.I finally got the truck to start (very hard). after it was running and warmed up there were no problems. The next day, first start up cranked and cranked, finally the engine started. I decided to install a push button, figuring the controller was acting up, did not change anything. Too make a long story even longer. I checked the GP relay again a couple of days later, heard the solenoid actuate, but no voltage. Well, with encouragement from my trusty little hammer on start up and she fires right up. Time for a new relay. Thanks for letting me vent. Tom

ssgtcampbell77

Staff Sergeant
Ive been getting my ass kicked by my relay as well. I thinkn my problem is actually with the Module though and as I have yet to find a replacement for the module, I am looking around on how to bypass that completely. If you opt to get a new relay, Advanced Auto has them for about $30. PN# S603. OReillys has them as well (same PN#) but their cost is around $50.

sht2kll

Thanks for the info. I found one at Aircraft Spruce for $10. It drives me nuts when I check something and it checks good while I am checking it then, it does it's own thing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks