• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GP system glitch with release codes. Am I the only one?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Won my item. Paid for my item. Payment cleared. No release code? That's strange... called customer service. I was informed that due to a systems' glitch even items that don't have an EUC have their release codes held for EUC. Tech support is supposed to fix it. Timeline for resolution unknown. Meanwhile, they have my money, and I can't pick up the (cheap) trailer.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Customer Service was more or less overtly hostile. Refused a refund, refused a supervisor, threatened to charge my account $500 for default if I sought relief from the credit card company.

This has stopped being fun. GP is a monopoly and is acting like one. I'm not sure what the solution is, BUT AT THIS POINT ANY CHANGE WOULD BE AN IMPROVEMENT

EO2NMCB

Meanwhile, even though you can't pick up said item, i'm sure it still counts against you for the number of business days you have left for pick up.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Customer Service was more or less overtly hostile. Refused a refund, refused a supervisor, threatened to charge my account $500 for default if I sought relief from the credit card company.
This has stopped being fun. GP is a monopoly and is acting like one. I'm not sure what the solution is, BUT AT THIS POINT ANY CHANGE WOULD BE AN IMPROVEMENT
There is ONE GUY there who acts this way. I butted heads with him over the smallest issue. I'd bet this is who you spoke with. Hang up, call back until you get someone else. This one guy is the opposite from what I have experienced there.

Meanwhile, even though you can't pick up said item, i'm sure it still counts against you for the number of business days you have left for pick up.
They have been super easy to deal with in this regard. All you have to do is explain the situation and ask if it's a problem. I have never had a problem with days or weeks ... or longer, over my time limit. Don't sweat it.

GP has some really nice guys working there. I have bought quite a bit of stuff. Electrical Equipment trucks and trailers. Had to file two claims. One truck was refunded even though it was well over 30 days since auction. Not a problem. One trailer was missing the tarp. They sent me a check to go buy a new tarp. .

Id be surprised if this goes on for very long. If it were me (and it might be since I bought three things today) just give them a couple days and call back. Hang up if you get "that guy" again. And just try again in 10 minutes. They are a good company. This should work out ok.

But, keep us posted. I will as well on my items.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The back story -

I'm in St Louis today. I bid on the thing because I was going to be here anyway, and I could pick it up with no additional expenditures.

I called last week to make sure that Thursday was loadout day at this site, and that I could do so on short notice, since it's just hook and go. I was assured that this would be no problem as long as I paid with a card instead of the usual wire transfer, since wire transfers often take a while to post.

So, I believed the information I was given, and acted on it. I should have known better. About 1 transaction in 5 with GP has some kind of problem. Used to be we could involve jwade to intervene. Now we're left at the nonexistant mercy of a hostile customer service.

So in about an hour I'm leaving without the trailer. When or if the release code system problem is resolved I'll pay a buddy to grab the trailer and hold it for me until next trip. It's an inconvenience and an irritant, not the end of the world.

The hostile attitude from customer service just leaves a bad taste.

Caveat emptor...

PHasty

GovPlanet Rep
So I have debated heavily whether or not to respond to any of the negative comments that seem to be the norm for the members on this site. However, since everyone feels JWade was the driving force for making things right, I guess I am now compelled to defend my Team and Company. As several members of this site will attest to, I am more than willing to work with anyone that has a LEGITIMATE issue. After 20+ years of Active Duty Army service, I will not abide whining. I also will not fix one individual's issue, instead I will fix THE SYSTEM so that it will benefit everyone. This is what I have been doing for the past 7 months since I was told, NOT ASKED, that I was taking over operations. No one can state with any type of accuracy that the EUC wait time has not improved, prior to half of the TSC investigators quitting or retiring, nor can they state that SF97s and Titles are arriving much quicker (SF97s now have an average time of less than 10 days after pickup). Granted there are still major strides that need to be made, and I have pushed my team to ensure that we are identifying shortfalls and determining what changes need to be made to ensure ALL of our customers are taken care of.

In regards to 98G's specific issue. I have NO IDEA what you are talking about. Nothing in our system, glitch or otherwise, is causing all items to show as needing an EUC. There are issues with some of the units that were caught up in the DEMIL change that DLA initiated, however, most of those customers were contacted directly. Looking at the auction results from yesterday, I see no trailers sold in Missouri, Tennessee, or any of the states that would be considered close to St Louis. Please feel free to PM me about this issue and I will see what exactly is going on.

If anyone is having a real issue, please PM me. However, if your PM consists of wanting to know when your SF97 is going to arrive, if it hasn't been more than 60 days don't ask. Same thing applies to an EUC submission. If you want to complain about a Customer Care Agent, then the PM better contain a name and date/time group of the call. If it was an unprofessional email, then include a copy of it. Once again don't clog up my InBox with whining. I waited 7 months to do this, don't make me regret it.

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Item number 898677.

Since you have chosen to publicly question my integrity, I'll make the screenshots public that demonstrate the factual nature of my claims.

No action is required on your part. This is no longer time sensitive. It can wait weeks if necessary for a release code at this point.

Screenshots of the payment. Screenshots of the calls. Screenshots showing no EUC was required. Screenshot showing the blank area where a release code would normally be found.

The "all items, even items not requiring an EUC were held as needing an EUC" is the explanation verbally provided when I called yesterday. I would be very interested in any alternate explanation you may have.

The particularly offensive statement by customer service was "if you want to play hardball I'll lock your account and charge you a $500 default fee". Your VRU says you record the calls. Included below is the exact time...

Screenshot_2017-06-08-12-54-06.jpgScreenshot_2017-06-08-12-54-38.jpgScreenshot_2017-06-08-12-55-10.jpgScreenshot_2017-06-07-14-24-13.jpg

PHasty

GovPlanet Rep
Wasn't questioning your integrity at all...this item has more issues than just being a DEMIL A item saying it needs an EUC. It doesn't even show up on the auction results page which very few of us (IP Folk) have access to. This is the first instance that I have heard of this issue, and you are correct there is no reason why you should not have been able to immediately take possession of this item once paid for. Thank you for bringing it to my attention and I will make sure that we (Tech Support and Operations) track down the issue causing this.

Do you remember who you talked to? Next time, and this goes for anyone, you feel that a CC agent was unprofessional towards you, provided you were not being belligerent to begin with, do not hesitate to let me know. I can and will address it with both the Agent and their Supervisor.

PHasty

GovPlanet Rep
None...This is obviously a systems issue. Now that I have an item number, I will elevate it and speak with the TS lead to ensure this, hopefully, is a one off and not a systems wide glitch. If anyone else is running into this issue, Please let me know ASAP!

MAdams

I'm done dealing with GP. I've had problems in the past and thought it was just part of the process but now its too much. I bought a civilian truck from the auction, paid, and have made several attempts to schedule a time to pick the item up and can't seen to get a call back. 1st number they gave me is disconnected, the 2nd number is a cell phone that goes straight to voicemail, leave a message and don't get a call back. I called customer service and explained the situation, the rep took down all my info, no call back. I email them and all I get back is a condescending reply that offers no help. Now they have my money and their truck. That's fun

PHasty

GovPlanet Rep
As I said before, give me something I can work with. I have no clue who you are, what item number you are referring to, who you talked to, what the email said...Not sure what you expect given the little to no information you present. PM me with the info if you don't want it made public.

kc5mzd

When my EUC finally cleared for a recent item I purchased I had a hard time getting the attendant at the pickup site. Once I finally did we made an appointment. He was on time - I guess he had to come from a different site. He was also very helpful. He went out of his way to make sure I was able to load the truck on my trailer. I think GP needs to work on their process of reaching the on-site staff. A corporate number to call where they have access to their staffs schedule and can forward voice text and e-mail to their remote sites would be very helpful.
Patience did pay off...

Last edited:

PHasty

GovPlanet Rep
Was it a GL site or GP Site? We do have a sharepoint page that the individual Site POCs are SUPPOSED to update, however, we all know that things happen and fires start that need immediate attention. We are currently testing a new process that will allow our customers to schedule pickups directly with the sites using something similar to an Outlook calendar. The calendar will show what dates/times are available, along with any site restrictions, and the customer will just pick the Date/Time they want and enter their information. This is currently being tested at only a couple of sites, and depending on the feedback/issues that arise we are hoping to make it live for all sites.

PHasty

GovPlanet Rep
What are the chances that the mods will set up a page strictly for me to answer and address issues publicly? PM is good for addressing personal information, but I believe it would benefit everyone to see/hear some of the answers that are given. This could help both sides to identify reoccurring issues, as well as educate everyone when/if they run into the same issue or question. Just a thought, plus it would be easier on me to follow just one thread and answer questions quicker.

PHasty

GovPlanet Rep
98G your item is showing good now...My offer that I PM'd you still stands as well. If anyone else experiences this same issue, please let me know. I am hoping this was just a fluke, but if I don't keep a record or know about it, I won't be able to elevate this to top tier status to ensure it gets fixed system wide.

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What I've learned from this -

1) information from customer service is inaccurate at best, and possibly fictitious.

2) customer service has neither the inclination nor the ability to resolve any problems. One must speak to management to get anything done. (This bodes ill for your workload...)

I still have some questions -

1) What prevented this from being resolved yesterday on my 3 calls to customer service? (Had it been resolved, the trailer would now be hooked to my truck instead of 250 miles behind me...)

2) What is the underlying problem ? Erroneous EUC flag?

Thank you for the offer to collapse the sale and refund me. I'm going to explore retrieval options for a day or two before deciding, if that's acceptable.

For those of you wondering why I didn't just wait it out - the site is unmanned. The guy was coming in today solely to load me out. He was driving 150 miles one way. When I was unable to get a resolution, I waved him off at 0500 this morning so he wouldn't drive for nothing. He is unavailable tomorrow and next week. His next opportunity is the week after.

PHasty, I personally really like the idea of visible problem resolution. This provides opportunity to showcase when things are resolved well, as well as when things don't go so well.

kc5mzd

I will be near St Louis in a week or so. I might be able to help you with pick up and hold it for a short time with 24/7 access to my driveway.

PHasty

GovPlanet Rep
I will do my best to answer these, some are based on my personal experience, i.e. I have witnessed and addressed the issue personally on at least one occasion, and some will be based on my opinion, i.e. although I haven't witnessed it personally I think I may know the thought process...

1 & 2. Our CC Agents are for the most part younger and straight out of college. They are basically, and please don't mistake my use of this term, our first line of defense when answering routine questions and accomplishing the daily tasks that are needed. I have overheard, which i can't help since all 20-25 of them sit literally right behind me, some of the CCAs give out erroneous information. When this occurs I do my best to figure out what is going on and make sure they have the right answer. I do not believe that they do this with malicious intent or with intent to mislead any of our customers, it is just not every question has the exact same answer. There are several areas that need to be looked at and considered when trying to diagnose exactly what is either causing an issue (such as what you experience yesterday) and what options may or may not be available. In most call centers, the CCAs are given a standard FAQ to follow and for the most part it covers 95% of the questions they will get in a day. Due to the nature of this type of business, not everything is cookie cutter or black and white, there is a heck of a lot of grey to wade through to get the right answers. Basically they are doing their best with the limited knowledge and experience they have. Is that a good answer, No, it isn't, however just like in the military you go to war with who you have, not who you want.

My best advice is persistence without belligerence. The minute you start blowing up on these kids, most of them will shut down and not be inclined to go too far out of the way to assist you. If you feel that red curtain starting to drop, take a breath, ask again and at that point if you still are not getting the answer you need ask to speak with a manager, you can drop my name if you wish and that may put the proverbial foot to butt and get their CC Supervisor on the phone. Understand, there are only 2 supervisors so if they transfer you expect to wait a while before they answer. Your best bet is to ask to have their supervisor call you back. Once again, if you don't receive one within a reasonable time frame, let me know.

In regards to your specific issue yesterday, I am not afraid to say that I don't know. I sent it to the Tech Support Lead, he fixed it. I asked if this issue was widespread, he said No (literally that was the only two letters on his return email). This is the reason why I need to know if other individuals have been effected by a similar issue. It was most likely just a "ghost in the machine" fluke which happens quite often. If one letter/number/space is added or deleted "over the air" or during a download it wrecks havoc on the entire issue. This is one of the disadvantages of being an online company, technology "glitches" every now and again and no one knows why. If I can show that it is a systemic issue, then I can stand on the Tech Geeks desk and validate the reason I need them to research the underlying issue. Unfortunately there are too many tasks and not enough fingers on keyboards to fix every single one-off, so they will prioritize issues based on what and how many people/items are impacted.

Once again, your issue yesterday is a glaring example of the above. I or the auction management team should have been notified about this one. I would love to know who exactly you talked to yesterday (you can pm me so we don't put them on public blast) so that I can conduct a little corrective training on what needs to be elevated immediately. Within seconds of looking at the screen shot you sent I knew what was "wrong with that picture" and immediately sent it to TS to fix. That should have happened yesterday, and as you say the trailer would be sitting in your collection and not on the other side of you neighboring state. As far as waiting, yes that is perfectly acceptable. You made the attempt in good faith, and you will not be penalized for not picking it up. The only time late pickups become an issue is when there is no attempt to schedule or no one bothers to answer the multiple emails that are sent out (day 8, day 30, day 45, day 60) before the actual abandonment date.

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I have dealt with Phil several times in the past and it has been nothing but professional and all of my concerns were taken care of. And I will be the first one to tell you I can be a pain in the ass. I buy a lot of stuff and often I go over the pickup time by a few days without incident. Most of the site reps give out their actual cell number and are easy to get hold of. It's better service than most equipment auctions. Try buying from a public auction where they rent a lot for the event and then have to be done and out if there 8 days after the auction. I did have an odd thing happen recently though. Won a loadbank trailer at Dix. Euc item did the forms and accepted submitted. A few days later the ecu was gone from my list and I had a release code. But I have no complaints over this someone probably figured out that it wasn't an euc item after all.
Will

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks