• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GPS Speedometer

bshupe

Has anyone installed a GPS speedo in a CUCV using something approximately stock in dimensions and installed in the factory cluster? I want to do the 700r4 swap and change tires/wheels but would like to circumvent all the speedo false readings and conversion issues. I have found some online but they seem to all be for boats which makes them automatically $x2 and then they mostly seem to be for race boats and read to 200 mph, add another $x2.

If anyone has done this, does it perform as expected? What did it cost, where did you get it? etc. etc.

Thanks!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Changing the speedometer driven gear to recalibrate is a 5 minute task. Even if you bought 2 gears in an effort to correct your reading, you might spend $15 and 15 minutes.

bshupe

Awesome, thanks doghead. You killed my high-tech dreams and justification for having gauges all the guys would be envious of but you also saved me $200 so I guess its OK.

Skinny

Changing the speedometer driven gear to recalibrate is a 5 minute task. Even if you bought 2 gears in an effort to correct your reading, you might spend $15 and 15 minutes.
Does anyone have a known good speedo gear tooth count for the classic 4.56 37" tire combo?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, I searched speedometer recalibration, in the cucv forum!:deadhorse:

MarcusOReallyus

GPS speedos are highly accurate and don't work worth beans in heavy tree cover or around high buildings, like many downtown areas.

Great in a boat. Great for checking your car's installed speedo.

Not so good as your only speedo unless you always drive in the wide open spaces.

my speedo it out Im trying to locate a new box to install into the transfer case. Hopefully its a simple task to swap them as im not trying to take anything crazy apart

Skinny

Boston

Four individual roads all next to each other in parallel with an overpass above. The GPS basically self destructs. It still knows how fast you are going though. So atleast you know how fast you are going when you want to kill someone:D

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I leap tall buildings in a single bound...2cents

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a app for that... I use the smartphone to check speed on my mowers... They are a little faster than stock. I've also used it in the M108, it has a bad speedo cable at the moment.

MarcusOReallyus

Yep. I've got one called "Speedview" (for Android devices). Works great. I use it to verify my speedos now and then.

Once I get out on the highway away from the trees....

rolling18

sory to revive such an old thread, I need to know HOW one is to recalibrate speedometer gear? <br> and where would I get a gear for the 395/85 tire size swap? <br>thanks!<br>