• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Graffiti Removal off of Canvas... Any Suggestions?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Tyler, This might sound funny, but maybe try gasket remover. It shouldn't bleach the canvas and should get the paint out if you let it sit.

ems4ty

Well, I've tried just about everything that everyone has suggessted. Apparently, these ruthless people didn't use water colors?!?!? Anyways, I've managed to bleach the color right out of the canvas in some areas. Right when it looks like its gone, I hit it with water to clean off the chemicals and behold, the freakin taggings are still there. Now don't get me wrong, I did manage to knock down the depth of the black color, but it is still, clearly visible. So, as frusterated as I am about this whole BS issue I'm at my wits end. I've got a gallon of matte finish paint that was just about color matched to the canvas (A tad bit darker greenish) and am in the process of spraying over the whole thing. Actually, I'm only going to spray up the sides of the canvass to just above the corner bows and leaving the top of the canvas untouched. Once done with that, I'll try and see if "Canvak" (Canvas preservative) will stick to it. I'll post a couple of pic's when I've got it back on the truck next week. In the meantime, here's a pic of it hanging in my shop. The lighting sucks in here for taking pic's and it doesn't really do any justice until it on the truck and in the sun light. Until then, happy trails my fellow SS buddies!

Attachments

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From here it doesn't look so bad. Although, in the same breath, if it was mine it would drive me crazy and i'd have to do something about.

I just bought a gallon of the that canvak stuff. I'm waiting for the rain to stop long enough to apply the stuff. Good luck Tyler.

Armada

The paint fix looks good Tyler. Canvak might not take to the canvas very well once it's painted though. But then again, the paint will act as a water repellant. Bare canvas treated with a healthy dose of canvak may keep any future 'taggings' from soaking in to the material.

5tonpuller

The first problem is the parents OF the kids. What would your father do if "HE" found out you did something like that?
I would not be typing on this board today. ( shivers at the thought )
Sorry about your truck. Up here there is 100's of acres of woods. EG

FrankUSMC

Correct me if I am wrong, but around 1990 or 1991, a guy in Cal. shot and killed a guy spraying graffiti on a road barrier. The guy came at him after he told them to stop. He shot and killed one of them because he thought the guy was going to attack him.
The story was in Stars and Stripes because the area was so devided over the shooting. Most of the people were behind the guy who tried to make them stop, and the others who wanted him charged because it is there right to destroy property.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET.

Blood_of_Tyrants

Bunch of freaking liberal a$$holes. Get motion sensitive lights and hook it to an alarm and when you catch them, go out with pepper spray and a baseball bat and beat the ever loving crap out of them. It is a crappy government when you aren't allowed to protect your property.

If you use a gun, just remember these words, "Officer, I went out there and they came toward me and I was in fear of my safety." And say NOTHING ELSE. NEVER babble on. NEVER give the cops ANYTHING else.

saddamsnightmare

February 2nd, 2008.

Unfortuneately I can add nothing to the above in terms of advice for cleaning the canvas, and unfortunately we want to keep our trucks authentic, but on the railroad ( freight train above can corroborate this), we would use Dupont Imron# paint to repaint the equipment, as graffitti won't stick to it, and diesel fuel or other cleaners will remove the graffitti. Permit me to say that in West Virginia, and I do believe here in Texas, Gun Control is being able to hit what you're aiming at, and .22 shorts loaded with Rock Salt make wonderful tagger removers.
I might reaffirm the use of the taggers tag to overlay some of the more violent gangs tags (say MS13 or the Aryan Brotherhood)in the area, and very likely there will be one or more fewer taggers about your neighborhood. One can regret the presence of the ACLU, inasmuch as they do seem to care much more about the underpriviledged criminal then the underpriviledged working victim. Given enough time and the right situation (other then in California) and I am pretty sure the problem will be eliminated by means that perhaps aren't in the State codes. One must say one thing for the Death penalty, contrary to the ACLU, the honoree rarely ever commits another crime, so I guess it does deter at least one criminal. Please accept my heartfelt regrets that your well preserved M35 has suffered such indignities. Intellectual hardening of the arteries is often found from a much too liberal use of chlorophyll laden substances in educational and other circles. I do belive Al Gore would make a lovely hood ornament on an M35, if only in manikin form.

Regards,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1961 Mercedes Benz S404.114 (Swiss) :Hug this tree, MAN!
1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Vietnam and Desert Storm Veteran Deuce.

pa.rich

Tyler, Lowes sells a sray paint for fabric, Thats what I would do and I dont think it has to be fabric spray, any flat O.D. will work, the trick is to get one to match. Probalbly have to spray the whole side. Unless you cammo it, then maybe just o.d. that damaged area and cammo the rest to blend it in. Sorry, I dont think it will come off.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Tyler, I seriously feel for you after getting your truck tagged. That is BS and you shouldn't have to be the victim of such senseless destruction.

That said, guys please cut out the references to shooting, maiming, killing, beating, taser'ing, pepper spraying, etc.... the taggers. It doesn't do our image any good for non-members to come in and read this stuff. All it does is reinforce the stereotype that MV collectors are a bunch of violent, gun-toting, militia members. I would appreciate you editing your posts to remove any such violent content. I'm sure I would feel like doing some harm to the vandals if they hit my truck, but we don't need to put it up here in print for the world to see.

Thanks.

ems4ty

Final Update. Got the other half of the canvas painted and through it back on the truck Friday afternoon. Took it out for a drive today, Saturday, to the Fontana Scrap Yard so that I could pick up the remaining (6) 11.00x20 tires and rims that I needed. Got back to to the shop and parked the beast.

Here's a couple of pic's of the "finished" product. You can still see the tagging on the passenger side through the paint that I had applied. It's not black when you look right at it. It's just that the black spray paint they used embedded into the canvas therefore changing its texture and so when the new paint was applied on top of it, it still shows through. You can mostly see it when you look at just right from an "Off Angle" perspective.

Anyways, just wanted to post the final outcomings. I saw Will Wagner at the scrap yard today looking for a couple of needed treasures. Hope all is well.

Take care,

Tyler

Attachments

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How about carefully removing the clips and reinforcement canvas on the outside, flipping the canvas over, and getting a local awning shop to sew them back on?

And about what to do about the "artists" that did that... Anything you do, right or wrong, will cost you more in legal fees than what a brand new canvas costs......

Good job Tyler, that doesn't look that bad.
I was wondering at what angle you sprayed the paint on the canvas.
I would think that the little vermin sprayed at an upwards angle since the Deuce is up higher than them. If you were to spray your paint at about that same angle then the threads of the canvas would be coated on the underside where their paint adhered. Just a thought.

I wish I could have joined you at the yard.

ems4ty

Well, I sprayed the new paint in what I thought would have been the same angle that they were at. It's not a matter of the Black Paint showing through... It's just the the black paint adhered to the canvas therefore making it smoother in texture. I tried to knock off as much black paint as possible with chemicals, still brush and pressure washer.

As far as turning the canvas inside out, I thought of that. The only draw back is that I can relatively believe that they'll be back to do it again and I'll have to repeat the procedure. It's inevitable really. So, I thought that I would probably get 3 or more "Treatments" on the outside, then I could flip it a do it over again. Buying another new canvas is not an option. Especially because this one was brand new about 6 months ago.

Anyways, Polverone, looking forward to the next rally what appears to be the 1st weekend of March. So, on that note, if you there this time, you can see it person.

My nerves are finally cooling off, but I hear these guys may be back in the neighborhood sometime on the 16th this month. Time for a stake out...

Take care and happy trails my fellow SS Members!!!

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I'm really sorry and angry to hear that your fine truck got tagged.

When I was living in Lake Forest, before I bought some land near Riverside, I kept my excess trucks at an RV storage lot over on Bake, a bit south of Portola.

ems4ty

NF6X, Don't know if I mentioned it or not, but it was in storage before I moved it to my office and put my brothers M35 in storage. His doesn't get used at all and just sits now. BTW, If anyone is looking for a multi-fuel M35A2 we've got one sitting here for the taking. Guess I should save that comment for a new post.... Oh well, I can't afford another storage rental fee, so it's sits here waiting to be violated. The city won't let us put a fence because of esthetics. I tell you, I think in cahoots with these guys.

The truck sits at my office in Santa Ana. Can't take it home to Lake Forest because I live in an apartment and it would take up 4 stalls. (Trust me, it will. The stalls there are unbelievably small) Not to mention that the management would have a coniption (Spelling???) fit.

Oh well, what can we do?!?!? Take care fellas and hope to see anyone who's going to Stoddard Wells for the rally/convoy the 1st weekend of next month.

Tyler - KI6LMI

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks