• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Graves Mountain Rally, Syria VA August 31-September 4, 2017

CGarbee

What IS the "vinyl cutter", does it custom cut the letters on some kind of self-adhesive vinyl sheet?
Yep, it basically is a plotter that has a knife blade in lieu of a pen...and a slick software package to allow one to do graphic design or to import images or designs and convert them to a format that the plotter understands.
I can use rolls of vinyl (yep, self adhesive on a backing) up t0 30" wide.
Cut the vinyl, weed out what you don't want, apply some transfer tape, and then apply to the backing (since you have made a decal).
I have used it to make paint mask, stencils, yard sale type signs, door magnets, banners, race car numbers and sponsor decals, mailbox number, convoy signs... I have not gotten into the heat transfer films, so no mugs or t-shirts using it yet...

I use a US Cutter MH34
http://www.uscutter.com/USCutter-MH-Series-Vinyl-Cutter-w-VinylMaster-Cut-Design-Cut-Software

Last edited:

Shepherd185

Sounds like a good time with good people. I've owned and sold 5 civilian jeeps: '74, '76, '92, '94 and an '03.
Hope to step UP a bit to a '69 M185 I know is for sale. I'd be pushing to buy it, fix the non-functioning tail lights, then title and register/tag it and road-ready prep in time for this rally. All the guys are going and I might be stuck sitting on the front porch waving as they go by. Dang!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Me and my daughter will be there again just for Saturday, thumbing a ride as usual - as I posted in another thread, I'm once again in the market for a CUCV, but not there yet.

Always looking forward to the usual suspects! And Cabell's BBQ!

Another Ahab

Sounds like a good time with good people. I've owned and sold 5 civilian jeeps: '74, '76, '92, '94 and an '03.
Hope to step UP a bit to a '69 M185 I know is for sale. I'd be pushing to buy it, fix the non-functioning tail lights, then title and register/tag it and road-ready prep in time for this rally. All the guys are going and I might be stuck sitting on the front porch waving as they go by. Dang!

Looks like a first post.

Here's a welcome from the other end of the Commonwealth. :beer:

CGarbee

WELCOME!
(From Raleigh where I currently live, and from Lynchburg and Syria, VA, where I grew up and still call home...)

I am very biased, but it is a GREAT time...with a very good group of people!
You don't have to bring the truck to attend and have a good time... You could do as Maddawg308 and a few others do and just come, thumb rides, enjoy the camaraderie...etc...

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WELCOME!
(From Raleigh where I currently live, and from Lynchburg and Syria, VA, where I grew up and still call home...)

I am very biased, but it is a GREAT time...with a very good group of people!
You don't have to bring the truck to attend and have a good time... You could do as Maddawg308 and a few others do and just come, thumb rides, enjoy the camaraderie...etc...
Ditto on the good time and welcoming folks. My son and I attended last year, our first time, and are coming back. If you can make it, you will enjoy it.

Bulldogger

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Cabell, the trail rides site mentions horseback riding. Is that still available and how does one arrange it? Kids OK?

Bulldogger

CGarbee

Hey Cabell, the trail rides site mentions horseback riding. Is that still available and how does one arrange it? Kids OK?
Bulldogger
Still available, kids are ok to ride.
The Lodge has a stable with horses that provides guided rides, usually an hour each, around the farm property. If you want longer rides, that can be arranged as well... You sign up for the rides at the Lodge office.
I know that one of the guys who attends the rally every year has arranged for his wife to "lease" a horse for the entire weekend so that she can ride whenever, wherever, she wants (easier for them then bringing her horse to the rally in addition to the MV).

Info on the horses at the Lodge Stables is located at:
http://www.gravesmountain.com/activities/recreation/

Also: The field next to the one that we use for the rally will have folks camping in it that bring their own horses...

Last edited:

CJ9/Granny

If all goes well, my wife and I will make it up there this year. We are well aware that our plans have a way of going south in a hurry, but hopefully this year we can break that spell. Looking forward to seeing y'all again! ... and Rick, I just know that made your day!!! :lol:

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still available, kids are ok to ride.
The Lodge has a stable with horses that provides guided rides, usually an hour each, around the farm property. If you want longer rides, that can be arranged as well... You sign up for the rides at the Lodge office.
I know that one of the guys who attends the rally every year has arranged for his wife to "lease" a horse for the entire weekend so that she can ride whenever, wherever, she wants (easier for them then bringing her horse to the rally in addition to the MV).

Info on the horses at the Lodge Stables is located at:
http://www.gravesmountain.com/activities/recreation/

Also: The field next to the one that we use for the rally will have folks camping in it that bring their own horses...
Thanks Cabell, I'll check out the Lodge's arrangements. My primary plan will be to find someone in that nearby field that will trade horse time for Hmmwv time...
Alex

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Bulldogger
For horseback riding, you go to the stable at the main farmhouse and rent a horse or two for the specified hours (there may be a little more to it than that, but not much), but we have dropped folks off there so they could go horseback riding while we were on the trails with the MV's.

Al Harvey

I was able to go through the duct work that I have. $50 each. There are different lengths so specify which you would like. These are in serviceable shape, but they are used and have fading and been squeezed in places. I can email pictures of any duct that your interested in. When going through them I took pictures of each one from different angles.

12" -- 14' x5 ; 15' x3 ; 21' x1 ; 24' x1 ; 25' x1 (Pending word of a sale on some of these)

16" -- 6' x2 ; 14' x4 ; 15' x1

18" -- 25' x1

IMG_4581.jpgIMG_4734.jpgIMG_4748.jpgIMG_4688.jpgIMG_4792.jpg

CGarbee

Time for two really big reminders!

We do NOT have gas/fuel at the Syria Mercantile... Closest place to put go juice in your MV is in Madison, so make sure that you fill up the tanks and jerry cans on the way in...
We do NOT have cell phone coverage in the area (ok, we do up on top of the mountain and in some spotty locations, but just plan on not having a signal).
We do have internet via WIFI at the Lodge, Syria Mercantile, etc. It can get slow...

If you have an emergency and somebody needs to get word to you, have them call the Lodge office and they will relay it down to Chuck in the HQ tent. The nature of the emergency will have an effect on how fast the message gets down the hill and to you... :)

olbucksnort

Does anyone have a cheap used even broken Deuce Fuel Cap they don't want. Why; I'm trying to feed my Generator threw the Auxiliary Line when camping and thinking of putting a suction line throw a Fuel Cap (preferably not a good cap) If anyone's got a junker cap to donate bring it to : Graves Mountain Rally, Syria VA August 31-September 4, 2017 Gladly pay with Bourbon Barrel Aged Maduro .

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks