• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Grease nipples for the tail gate

I did a little searching and didn't find anything so I have to ask. Has anybody put grease tits on the hinge for the tail gate?? I thought it was a good idea cuz if you grease em, they don't rust and they don't seize up. Plus it' a good way to keep dirt & grime out of em. Just wondering. :nothingfunny:

hdmax

Not to sure how well a grease zerk will do on the pivot point, to work properly it would need spiral vains cut in to the zerk channel.
If you try it, please let us know how it works!

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will work great for greasing your clothes every time you walk buy it.
It seems a shot of penitrating oil every couple months would work just as well .

motomacguyver

I think it's a good idea, Put the grease zerk on the Pin. While the pin is out it would be easy to put spiral grooves in it, if you have a lathe. Or you could "ghetto lathe" it. Chuck it up in a drill, turn slowly, and run the pin down the edge of a running bench grinder wheel.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I could understand putting grease nipples on the door pins, WS hinges and who knows where else... but not for the tailgate hinges!
That I would consider a 200% overkill! These are not tight-fit parts... and they don't have to be; just the opposite!
Take a closer look, hinges are made out of flat stock 5/16"x 2", roughly bent to shape and far from being round/ cylindrical where the pin goes through.

Keep them dry (so sand won't accumulate), replace the pins once every 20 years.... and better pay attention (OIL!) to all other hinges (WS, hood, cab-, toolbox-, battery tray-, MC- inspection door, etc) :)

G.

Attachments

Flyingvan911

I just use a shot of 3 in 1 oil in the hinges. It does well enough and i can blow any dirt out at the car wash and re-oil when the truck is dry.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks