• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

grease preference

bigford

Just curious as to what type of grease you use in your front axles. Doing a search, NLGI #2 lithium seems to be the most common. (Thanks to stumps for some good info in a 2010 post.)
Also is there a source for the GAA?
I was swapping some parts around on my axles and one of the donor ones had what looked like a fresh rebuild. I had some disc brake grease that I had planned to use but after comparing it to the (or what I think is) GAA, I'm not going to do it. Seems to be too thin.
Thanks

5tonman1971

Are you talking about wheel bearings? Or differential lube or are you talking about the king pins and such. For all u joints,bushings,king pins, ball joints, any where there's a grease zert I use "green grease" it's water proof heavy duty and works really well. And it's green that's another plus.

Attachments

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any of the modern greases that are multi purpose and rated for Wheel Bearings, U-Joints, ball joints and front end, etc are light years ahead of the peanut butter looking GAA.There has been tremendous tech improvement in grease be it red, blue, or green in the last 20 years. Most of the ones out there are water proof or resistant and have millions of miles in HD fleets. There is also synthetic products. Any name brand modern rated grease will do the job.

First time I saw GAA when servicing my truck it looked more like soap based lithium that I was selling 30 years ago when I started in parts and gooped into drum brakes. The automotive and hd world has moved away from those products to a better product.

Personally, I like the red stuff.

bigford

Thanks for the comments. Just waiting on some seals to come in and then back together she goes.
Also in the for-what-it's-worth column, these drum / hub assys aren't the easiest to take off. After fighting a couple, I had an idea. Keep in mind that adding 15 to 20 lbs more weight to the hubs is just what they need. Using 2 lugnuts and the front part of a spare FMTV rim, I bolted it on to the hub to use as leverage and something to grip with. Seemed to go a lot easier...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks