• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Grease question

87cr250r

There is nothing special about the Lucas Red N Tacky grease.

Interestingly, Lucas X-Tra Heavy Duty is the better grease for wheel bearings. It's not necessarily compatible with lithium greases so it would be best to start with a clean pack.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The military here in the US has used the same brown, long-fiber grease for wheel bearings for at least 70 years. It is not a high-pressure application as long as the preload isn't set to excess.

I read the Morris data on their product, and it will be fine in any application in your tactical. Since it is a dino-oil base, compatability with gear lube is OK.

Just stay away from the black Moly-based stuff sold for use in conjunction with disc brakes. If it comes in contact with gear lube, it turns into clay and that is not good.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thank you for all your help, next question, how much will i need to repack all 6 hubs?
A small tub at the local parts house should be plenty. I think maybe it is about a pound? The container is about the same diameter as a can of car wax and maybe twice as tall.

I found a "Grease Calculator" on the web at MachineryLubrication.com and their numbers - without a bearing in front of me - comes in around 2 ounces of grease per bearing x 6 wheels. And that seems high to me... Don't try to fill the dead space between the bearings. It just causes problems later with leaky seals.

Biggles633

A small tub at the local parts house should be plenty. I think maybe it is about a pound? The container is about the same diameter as a can of car wax and maybe twice as tall.

I found a "Grease Calculator" on the web at MachineryLubrication.com and their numbers - without a bearing in front of me - comes in around 2 ounces of grease per bearing x 6 wheels. And that seems high to me... Don't try to fill the dead space between the bearings. It just causes problems later with leaky seals.
Ok, will just give the bearings a good coating. Thanks for your help.