• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Great Gas Milage

M1009 Fiend

Well i had to tell someone i just drive back to school from my house and got 22.43mpg
So i filled the tank the tank three times this weeknd just to get an idea of my gas mileage.
1.This is pre-bypassing of the Vacuum regulator on the ip, with a bunch of start stops and idling mympg was about. 11.21 mpg.
2.This included three 50 mile round trips, with some traffic and about a quarter of city driving. was 17.21 mpg
3. And three was strait highway and i got 22.43.

I Love this Truck. This truck gets better gas mileage than my old 92 dodge 2500td.

Thank all for reading my rant.

Last edited:

M1009 Fiend

Yes i love to share this kind of stuff.

panama-Sorry for not clarifying, but is you follow the transmission lines from the trany to where they connect to the ip they connect to the regulator on the side of the ip. The other part of the regulator runs to the Vacuum pump.

And what i did is bypass the regulator by connecting the vaccum pump strait to the tranny line.

So basicly i shift to second at like 18-20 mph, and third around 30-40

Ive posted a picture of it, the red arrow is the regulator, green arrow is the line to the tranny and the other line to the vaccum pump is parallel below the tranny line.

Any one can correct me but i belive this is a regulator, but i then to call everything valves.

Attachments

tm america

i got 14mpg with my duece pulling my m105 to anf from haspin last year i couldnt believe it that better than my dodge ram1500 gets empty i only get 12 with it:cry: gotta love mvs it's amazing what you can you with them with just a little tweaking:roll:

panama

Thanks for the clarification and pic, FIEND. My truck already shifts at those ranges...but I'll check the vacuum lines anyway. I am assuming you mean to tell us that your mileage IMPROVED (by 24%?) after you performed the bypass??

M1009 Fiend

Well idk because these are the first three time i have fully fueled up my truck.
I Just got most of the paper work sorted out and am now able to drive it legally so these are to first number i have been able to calculate im sure the first number i really low because there was a lot of starts and stops with out to much driving involved.

But the shifting at 20, as oppose to 45 is a definite improvement.:-D And i will probably do some more experimentation on the mpg but i like it how it is now.

HardCorps79

The fuel economy you report is pretty normal for the M1009s. I get about the same: 15-18 mpg in town, and 18-22 on the highway. This is better than my wife's minivan gets.

Despite your pick, I'm still not sure exactly how you changed the setup on your IP/Vac pump modulator. But in a stock set-up, you can adjust the shift points by rotating the modulator/regulator on the passenger side of the IP. Just loosen the two 3/8" bolts and rotate it forward or back and find out where you get the most comfortable shifting and best fuel economy. Technically, you should use a vac gauge to set this up, but most of us just wing it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks