• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Greetings from Hendricks WV

M35Maniac

Howdy I finally talked my wife into the pros of owning a deuce and now she relented on allowing me to purchase one. I told her in exchange I would haul away anything she wanted to from around the house including the house when it's time to get a new one lol. I haul scrap metal and can use it for that as well as my local store when I go out to pick up storage units and things. Plan on stashing it behind my store and running small pickups in my dodge then backing up and transferring to deuce until a full load is on the heading out.

I have began the major task of learning everything I can about them and how to care for them plus routine maintenance. Learned the weird shift pattern for it as well as dangers associated with split rims among other things. Any advice for a soon to be Deuce owner?:clinto:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well the good thing is that it does not have split ring wheels. They are locking ring.

The shift pattern still gets me once in a while. :)

I have done a little work around the farm with mine but no over the road hauling, yet. I have hauled scrap in a 105 trailer and then just left the trailers a couple of times.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Welcome from a former Mountaineer. My kin is from the Greenbrier/Pocahontas area but very few of us left down there.

av8or

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We spend the summers around Rainelle WV. Keep a deuce there to play with. Maybe will get a chance to get to gather. If you don't have one by summer come drive try mine out.

61sleepercab

Welcome from Walton,Roane County West Virginia. Deuces and five tons are fun, but are slooooooooow trucks. There is no sense pushing them past 45-50 because what goes fast must also stop at times. I have a Deuce and a 5 ton both and have driven other old stuff, Macks and Internationals. Take it easy in our great mountain roads and curves, I do not want to hear on the radio "Deuce Owner screams like little girl as truck goes down through the woods without the benefit of road". This is a good site to learn from older owners how to keep the green stuff alive and well. Mark

M35Maniac

Welcome from Walton,Roane County West Virginia. Deuces and five tons are fun, but are slooooooooow trucks. There is no sense pushing them past 45-50 because what goes fast must also stop at times. I have a Deuce and a 5 ton both and have driven other old stuff, Macks and Internationals. Take it easy in our great mountain roads and curves, I do not want to hear on the radio "Deuce Owner screams like little girl as truck goes down through the woods without the benefit of road". This is a good site to learn from older owners how to keep the green stuff alive and well. Mark
lol would rather not have that happen either am sure the deuce would survive with minimal damage but me not so sure :p

misterbill64

Welcome from Buckhannon WV, I think you will find a very helpfull group here . My only advice is start a parts fund now for all the little thing that come up , or the add on' s that you will be doing . ( never satisfied always upgrading ) because the parts can get down right expensive! But they sure are fun to play with.

AceHigh

I never have had mine inspected. I do all my own work so far so the only cost is parts, I would hope you can too. Many shops are afraid of old army trucks, they don't realize how relatively simple they are to fix. BTW I am in the upper 60s and have a very limited mechanical background.

ETA I re-read the above and it sounds like I am a little sloppy. As most are here I am meticulous about preventive maintenance and pre-trip inspections, I never want to be running 13,000 pounds of metal down the highway without any brakes!

Last edited:

misterbill64

If your meaning state inspection, I get it at a local place ( same as the rest of my vehicles ) although at first they said they didn't do big trucks but when i pointed to there big international rollback wrecker an asked where they got it inspected they changed their mind. I do all my own work on it though.

M35Maniac

If your meaning state inspection, I get it at a local place ( same as the rest of my vehicles ) although at first they said they didn't do big trucks but when i pointed to there big international rollback wrecker an asked where they got it inspected they changed their mind. I do all my own work on it though.
That is what I was getting at one of my main concerns was a 13k lb truck is not easily hoisted and inspected at most local garages the same way a car is and I wasn't sure of any around me that would do an inspection on it and sticker it for me.

misterbill64

That is what I was getting at one of my main concerns was a 13k lb truck is not easily hoisted and inspected at most local garages the same way a car is and I wasn't sure of any around me that would do an inspection on it and sticker it for me.
I think you will find that no " Inspection Station " will put it on a rack and pull wheels, they don't want to pay for a messed up seal or any other problem, most they will do is a walk around checking lights tires wipers things like that at least not for the 12.50 they charge you. If your actually wanting it mechanically inspected your going to half to take it to a big truck shop and pay for labor accordingly.

georgie c

hello I currently live in Delaware but have purchased 132 acres in Braxton co. . We will be moving the end of 2016, unless it hits the fan before that. I would like to make some contacts and develop a relationship with the fmv folks in w.v. . that is if you all will accept a Yankee. My wife made me buy our first fmv earlier this year , it is an A923-a2. I have had most of the air system replaced .

georgie c

opps hit the wrong button I wasn't finished what I was saying. we took it for our first real test ride yesterday. from our home in Hockessin de . we drove 100 miles to Rehoboth beach and back. mostly flat topography , after all it is Delaware. the only mishap was when I nearly ran over some one making a left turn in front of me , but thanks to my lightening fast cat like reflexes and ABS they and the street sign survived .

SSGHillbilly

Howdy I finally talked my wife into the pros of owning a deuce and now she relented on allowing me to purchase one. I told her in exchange I would haul away anything she wanted to from around the house including the house when it's time to get a new one lol. I haul scrap metal and can use it for that as well as my local store when I go out to pick up storage units and things. Plan on stashing it behind my store and running small pickups in my dodge then backing up and transferring to deuce until a full load is on the heading out.

I have began the major task of learning everything I can about them and how to care for them plus routine maintenance. Learned the weird shift pattern for it as well as dangers associated with split rims among other things. Any advice for a soon to be Deuce owner?:clinto:
Hello , you are only a few miles from me. Maybe you’re like to get together with me and talk some time. I pass through there every now and then with my Deuce. I could give you some advice. I know a few other military Veh owners around the general area of a few counties. I’m sure there’s more of us than we realize. IM up 72 Towards Cannan. I sure would like to see another owner in the area. I hope you do get one. I could help you locate One maybe.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks