• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Greetings - New Guy from Michigan

OldLeatherneck

Hello All, I've been reviewing SS for approximately 90 days and just signed up earlier this week. I've been looking for a truck to meet my requirements for most of 2014, and discovered the CUCV's. Hunting, Fishing, Trapping, Logging, and have to be able to get through 3+ feet of snow in Michigans U.P. Not planning on doing any kind of "sporting" activities. After having negotiated, then aborting a lengthy process to secure an M-1028 in Texas (too many issues, too many unanswered questions), I located a M-1008 here locally from a fellow SS member. Judging from the stencils, the truck was former US Army, then owned by the Mancelona, Michigan FD, then the Michigan DNR. The MM FD upgraded the rear leaf springs to carry a 500 G tank of water (4,170 pounds). I was after that level of capacity.

Just shy of 69,000 miles on the truck, and right now it's in the shop of a mechanic I trust to change all fluids and filters, grease everything possible, and perform a total front to back - top to bottom inspection. I've already scoured ORD's site and been on the phone with them on lift kits and steering gear. Have had 1 guy do a walk around and give me an estimate on sand blasting, have a source for body parts, and pricing from a body shop on cutting out and welding in new inner and outer rockers and the cab corners. 2 new Group 31 batteries delivered to shop yesterday.

Right now, I'm working out the final project sequencing plan, AND doing the anaylsis on the biggest practical tires I can put on the stock wheels with 6" front and rear lift and some trimming.

This (SS) is an absolutely outstanding site with incredible resources. I will endeavour to search all of the forums and threads before I post any dumb questions.

I will post photos of the project as time allows. Admin or Mods; let me know via PM where to send a money order to for membership fee.

Happy to be here Gentlemen. Thank You much for all the help so far.

OldLeatherneck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks