• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Grid Protection Device

tktsales

Hi All, I bought one lot (eighteen) of these TRC 20200 Grid Protection Devices last week. Really dont know anything about them. I have (3) MEP803A sets and thought it might be worth while to have some of these as well. Now that I have received them I dont know if they are a redundant protection or not.. So here is my first question. Do these provide GFCI Protection? I dont think the MEP803s provide that protection except for the convenience outlet. So if they do provide GFCI protection it might not be a bad idea to have this in use for using the MEPs around water. One of mine is setup to pump water for an irrigation system, another will be setup for a sawmill operation and we use allot of water there too.. I know these specific devices are 200 amp breakers so its overkill for an MEP803 but the generator provides its own overload protection so that is why I am a little confused on the need for these. I would not think they would want redundant protections even with the battle short included.. Any information or TMs out there that might shed some light on the proper use of these would be much appreciated.. I have attached a few photos of this. Thanks in advance

Attachments

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
They are for setting up a micro-grid at base camp.
Usually running say 2-6 Mep-1060 or MEP-1070 AMMPS unit in parallel. They can assist in starting or turning off more generators when needed for power demand. Anytime you have that much power flowing, you want to make sure all are safe around said power. There are lots of other components to make a microgrid.
Here is a pdf showing its use.

Attachments

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

It's funny that you posted this. I was talking about the series 15 mini cam loks in the forum. The ones on this unit are the larger series 16 cam loks.

tktsales

Howdy,
They are for setting up a micro-grid at base camp.
Usually running say 2-6 Mep-1060 or MEP-1070 AMMPS unit in parallel. They can assist in starting or turning off more generators when needed for power demand. Anytime you have that much power flowing, you want to make sure all are safe around said power. There are lots of other components to make a microgrid.
Here is a pdf showing its use.
Thank you Mike, That's exactly what I was looking for. I guess these serve me no purpose for my little MEPs now but I did not pay much for them.. I am sure someone will find a good purpose for them on Ebay or elsewhere... If anyone here has a need let me know..

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw those go off, and also had no idea how they were used. I am sure someone will have a use.

uniquify

Thank you Mike, That's exactly what I was looking for. I guess these serve me no purpose for my little MEPs now but I did not pay much for them.. I am sure someone will find a good purpose for them on Ebay or elsewhere... If anyone here has a need let me know..
Can you share some pictures of the other sides of the Grid Protection Device? Are the cam lock connectors male, female, or are there multiple sets?

tktsales

Can you share some pictures of the other sides of the Grid Protection Device? Are the cam lock connectors male, female, or are there multiple sets?
It will be later this afternoon but yes I will get some other photos. There is a set of connectors on each side.. One side the input and the other side the outputs and I think one is male and the other female but I will verify with some photos when i get some time.. There is also a Cannon style connector on the side, not sure what that goes to.

tktsales

It will be later this afternoon but yes I will get some other photos. There is a set of connectors on each side.. One side the input and the other side the outputs and I think one is male and the other female but I will verify with some photos when i get some time.. There is also a Cannon style connector on the side, not sure what that goes to.
Here are some more photos.. Males on the Input feeds and females outputs. Sorry the photos are not the best..

Attachments

Chainbreaker

Maybe a good starting point for a diy spider box?
Not sure how well it might adapt to use as a general use spider box and they don't look like something you could pick up all that cheap. But sure looks like a heavy duty platform as a starting point for sure!

Recently, I picked up one of these types of 30 amp Military Spider Box. For my intended usage 30 amps is plenty. BTW, I found it cheaper on an eBay listing with "Make an Offer" for about $170 shipped. The unit I received appears unused other than some warehouse storage scratches on the paint.

The Gillette box's control panel includes (2) Nema 5-15R 120V 15 amp GFCI duplex outlet, (1) Nema L5-30R 120V twist lock outlet, (1) Nema L14-50R 120/240V 50 amp outlet, voltmeter, hour meter, and circuit breakers

Last edited:

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So if all of those are outlets... where is the power inlet? Or is it a hardwire behind the rear panel?

Edit: Nevermind... I didn't see the scroll arrows for more pictures!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks