• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Grilling Tires.. Mmmm mmmm good

Jayrassic

Grilled me up a front passenger tire on the m813 tonight... anyone want to join me fireside this evening for hotdogs and the wild world of technical manuals?
grillin tires.jpg

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, bearing is fubar if the lip of the drum isn't shaved off too. I've only done this twice on the same truck possessed by Murphy himself. May as well redo all the seals while you're in there.

Jayrassic

Hard to believe there was no indication before that state of affairs...
well we looked at each other when we stopped at a red light and said thats a new smell... kinda smells hot? pulled over spit on the hub... sizzle sizzle ran into the store for a couple gallons of spring water and started cooling Big Chubby down.... maybe a good time to switch all out to some super singles...ah dreamin! lol

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How'd you get er home? just realizing thats a rumble strip alongside the highway!
Moved the tire from right rear to right steer, and changed it roadside. Went on down the road singled on the right rear.

Missed a pickup at ft hood from GP, which pushed it out a week. Apparently they only do loadouts on Wednesdays.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Luckily you stopped at the light and noticed it.
I've seen semis driving with trailer wheels on fire and throwing flaming pieces of rubber until they finally notice it.

It could have been much worse.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Luckily you stopped at the light and noticed it.
I've seen semis driving with trailer wheels on fire and throwing flaming pieces of rubber until they finally notice it.
Actually, that is often the smart thing to do. If you were to stop with a tire on fire, you are risking your whole rig (or at least the whole trailer if you uncouple the tractor and move it away). A tire is hard to extinguish, burns very hot and when it burns, it will set ablaze whatever is above and around it. Trailer floors are usually wood and combust. Smarter to keep on driving; that blows flames and heat out the back and when the rubber finally comes off the rim, the fire lost its fuel and you can safely stop.

Yes, if you do that in a forest during dought season you may endanger others, but short of that, small burning pieces of rubber on a highway rarely cause issues.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually, that is often the smart thing to do. If you were to stop with a tire on fire, you are risking your whole rig (or at least the whole trailer if you uncouple the tractor and move it away). A tire is hard to extinguish, burns very hot and when it burns, it will set ablaze whatever is above and around it. Trailer floors are usually wood and combust. Smarter to keep on driving; that blows flames and heat out the back and when the rubber finally comes off the rim, the fire lost its fuel and you can safely stop.

Yes, if you do that in a forest during dought season you may endanger others, but short of that, small burning pieces of rubber on a highway rarely cause issues.
very good point and makes sense.
Sure is a sight to see!

Jayrassic

1476885092692-2069846903.jpg
So I have come to the conclusion after not seeing a part like this in TM diagrams the hunk of steel left here is the remainder of the inner bearing... how on earth does one get it off I've banged, I've pryed, I've prayed, I've chiseled... any other tips?

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get rid of all that grease and heat just the bearing race with a torch, it will expand and "should" slide right off. If you have to use a thin cutting wheel, just score the race, then hit the grove with a chisel and the hardened/brittle race should break the rest of the way through.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 649662
So I have come to the conclusion after not seeing a part like this in TM diagrams the hunk of steel left here is the remainder of the inner bearing... how on earth does one get it off I've banged, I've pryed, I've prayed, I've chiseled... any other tips?
Torch it gently bit by bit, there's no other way. The spindle is very hardy but still take your time with it. If you widdle down opposing sides of the inner bearing you can take a hammer and chisel to it for the last bit and hopefully break it in half. Make sure to wipe all that grease off first. This part just sucks and you have to do it. :evil:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks