• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Grilling Tires.. Mmmm mmmm good

if it's galled fast you will have to cut it. take the spindle off and to vise or somewhere away from the truck and proceed to cut it I've peeled them off with the torch before. if you're good with a torch you can cut through and not cut into the spindle. I can't remember who but I helped a few guys a couple yrs ago on the Pa turnpike with a roasted bearing on a 931. Lucky for them I have tons of spare parts around and I took a whole spindle, bearings, and hub out and changed it along the road for them. then we brought it back to my place and pulled the other side apart to check it and it was due for service too so we repacked the bearings and got it up to par before they left out the next morning to go get a deuce. moral of the story is if one side went tear the other side apart and service it just to be safe.

Jayrassic

Finally made its way to the bench and getting ready for some cutting. There was what looked like a black silicone sealant all around and in the bolt-holes. I dont see mention of it in the TM's and the "P" TM. Should a sealant be applied for the reassembly? Since I'm this far is it recommended to pull the knuckle joint out and do the inner axle seals as well? I honestly have no idea what i'm doing lol, just going by technical manuals and others posts on here, but hey I'm learning and thats fun... and it is kinds like going to the gym working on all this heavy stuff lol.
m809 axle knuckle.jpg
m809 axle.jpg

red

Might as well since you are already most of the way there. Going off the pic looks like the seal has failed and needs replacement anyways.

red

18/19/20 (can't remember which is the seal) from the pic yep. In the picture of your axle shaft/knuckle it looks like it's coated in a mix of oil and grease. That's only supposed to be grease, meaning that the inner axle seal has failed and is letting gear oil move from the axle housing into the knuckle.

Jayrassic

18/19/20 (can't remember which is the seal) from the pic yep. In the picture of your axle shaft/knuckle it looks like it's coated in a mix of oil and grease. That's only supposed to be grease, meaning that the inner axle seal has failed and is letting gear oil move from the axle housing into the knuckle.
Thanks man I really appreciate the info. That certainly does make sense.... off to find a slide hammer to get that bugger out.

Jayrassic

Just wanted to say thanks to all that provided their insight... Right Front paw is all back together and had her out for 30 miles and rolling good with a hub that is staying nice and cool now. I did have one part left over from the kit I bought from OshKosh it is a hub seal wiper, intended to smooth out the spindle flange after a chewed up bearing gnaws into the edges...could not get that bugger on (maybe some heat next time or something but definitely needs to stretch a bit) Will be doing the drivers side soon and me and my buddy think we can get that one done in under two hours.... we shall see. Anyway thanks again all!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks