• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Grinding and growling noise in transmission or rear differential???

hvillem1009

I have noticed a grinding and growling noise coming through the transmission when I let off the gas pedal when slowing down. If I apply brake and give a little throttle, the noise will go away. I just replaced my starter and checked the bolts on the TC and all looked fine. Checked the fluid in transmission and is was good and didn't smell burned. Also checked rear differential fluid and it was at proper level. Can anyone tell me where I need to start looking for the problem? I did search the forum but couldn't find anything like this. Thanks for any help.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Look at the rear chunk, then front chunk, then transfer case, you have a bearing OUT, when under load the bearing is tight, no load will loosen up the bearing and give you noise, you need to find the problem because things will get worse quickly.

dependable

Check fluid levels in boxes mentioned above. Should be able to see if any oil is coming out seals in differentials. Transfer case fluid level is often ignored, might want to check that one first. If anything is very low, you will probably need to replace a bearing at some point, also the seal(s) that are letting fluid leak out..

Skinny

Is the sound resonating at the same frequency of the wheel speed or about three times faster. This will indicate if it's ring gear/axle noise or pinion/driveshaft/tcase. If the noise changes with the gears, probably in the trans.

edpdx

Is your transfer case shifter adjusted right. The nut can work itself loose and then it'll slip and grind. The TM shows the linkage. It is easy to check.