• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Grinding noise from transfer case in 2H

JonM1009

I have an '85 M1009, and for some time now there has been a grinding/vibrating noise coming from the rear of the transmission, I believe the transfer case specifically, when it's in 2H. Typically it happens when you're going down the road and hit a bump or something and then the grinding starts. It sounds like two gears were just brushing up against one another and used to not be so bad, but it's gotten worse however and the only way to drive it without the grinding noise is to drive around with it in 4H (don't worry the front hubs are unlocked). The noise goes away then, but returns most of the time when it's in 2H.

A guy I know who owns a specialty 4x4 off road shop suggested it might be that a snap ring in the transfer case came loose or broke, and is allowing one of the shift forks to brush up against one of the gears. This already has surpassed my knowledge of transmissions, and though I've got the TM off this site, I'm not sure what I'm looking for when I pull the transfer case off. Any thoughts or similar experiences?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks