• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Grinding when going into 4H and 4L

hotcorner216

So my 86 m1009 is my first off road truck, Is it normal when shifting into 4H/4L there is always a little grinding sound? I stop the truck, put it into neutral then go into 4H or 4L, and if I am in 4L and I try to put it into park after its engaged it makes this awful grinding so I have to keep it in drive, neutral or reverse. If I "wiggle" it just right I can get into 4H without any noise but not 4L. When i purchased the truck about 8 months ago the previous owner said he had just had the T case rebuilt, maybe he didnt do it right? (Truck DOES go into 4x4, I use 4x4 it 1-2 a month at least)

Oh truck is stock mechanically.
Thanks

hoplite666

Hubs locked? Shift on the fly can only be performed when the hubs are locked otherwise grinding will occur. That should only apply if the truck is in motion, so if you're at a stand still, and in park/neutral there should be no grinding (hubs locked or free). Either way, try locking the hubs before shifting and see what happens.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Follow the instruction on your sun visor.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it isn't there, read the operators manual.

Skinny

That is because you are going from 4H to 4L while moving which is always going to cause a small grinding if creeping along. Not really bad but certainly creeping is easier than at a full stop. If fully stopped, if you go to shift into 4L and you pause to long in the middle (N position), you are allowing the trans output and tcase input to spin up. Your transmission is in gear so naturally they will spin if you spend too much time in tcase neutral territory. Now if you put the trans in neutral she will shift easier.

The best way to shift those NP208's along with anything that has a chain drive case is slow speed roll, shift trans to N, shift tcase to 4L, then shift trans back into D. That is the safest and easiest way unless you are a really good gear jammer. Then you can get it without shifting the trans out of gear.

If it grind going into park, just shut the truck off and return it to Park position.

You should get real familiar with your manuals, check out the TM's. Of course I will say that as if I wasn't riding on a high horse.