• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

grizzly yukon locker

1978davidw

Thinking about adding one of these to my truck. i dont do any hardcore offroading or anything like that however i do use my truck on occasion to pull heavy loads (off road) on a trailer (25,000lbs up to 35,000lbs) on a tag along trailer with air brakes. i pull slow and only use it where my dump truck i usually pull with gets stuck, its a single axle volvo with open differential( it gets stuck on dry grass just about). was wondering which axle would be best to put it in one of the rears or the front. I also use my truck in the winter on slick roads as my car i have is a rear wheel drive.

Maverick1701

I have been thinking on he same subject for when I eventually spring for a locker.

I wouldnt put it on the front axle due to the difficulty of steering w/out power steering combined w/a locker.

The rear axle might not always have good contact with the ground (from some of the off-roading videos I have seen on youtube).

I am going to lock the middle axle first...in he vids I have seen it looks like the middle axle almost always has contact w/the ground. And if you drop the nose off into something w/out a bottom there is a better chance of being able to back out w/the locker in one of the rear axles

Last edited:

1978davidw

yeah i was concerned about maintaining the streetability with a locker in the front although it would probably provide the most additional traction in the front with the way the weight is distributed on these things. Does anyone on here run a locker in the front?

Pinz25086

Why not install in the front axle and also install a set of lock out hubs? When you need the locker off road it is there but on the street, you will gain the option to free wheel. Just a thought...

Wayne