• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ground Bonding

csheath

Been reading up on the ground bonding question. Just wanting to create a thread with this title as opposed to the info being buried in other subjects.

The best I can understand is when I have my generator connected to my house which has the ground and neutral bonded in the panel I should remove the bonding strap on the generator.

connections.jpg

If I am operating my generator on my load bank through an unbonded panel I should connect the bonding strap. Or does it matter if I leave it disconnected for this?

TrailLifeBill

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your load bank is 208 or 240 only, I don't believe it would matter since neutral is unused. However, if you have any 120v component in your load bank (a fan for example) - you need to bond neutral to ground.

csheath

If your load bank is 208 or 240 only, I don't believe it would matter since neutral is unused. However, if you have any 120v component in your load bank (a fan for example) - you need to bond neutral to ground.
My load bank does use a 120v fan. I guess I will try to remember to put it back on for testing and remove it after so I don't forget.

Ken_86gt

In general the neutral ground bond is located at the first means of disconnect or a service entrance. How ever you end up connecting things you should only have it bonded in one location or you will get circulating ground currents and potential safety issues- you could get shocked by touching the ground. Of course the code is the the only correct answer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Always ground.
I repeat, always ground.

House Hook-up=
Main electrical house panel has a complete ground system setup. A generator will use that when connected to said house panel. Bonding strap dis-connected. The ground and neutral are bonded already in the house panel. You use 4 wires to connect to house.

Middle of field hook-up=
Ground rod, wire from rod to ground on generator. Ground and Neutral bonded. Bonding strap connected.

Load Bank Hook-up=
Ground rod, wire from rod to ground on generator. Ground and Neutral bonded. Bonding strap connected

Always ground. :shock:

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ground rod at generator when hooked to house?

It'd be easy to drive a rod where I keep the trailer parked and hook it up for when load banked. But lazy me would like to just leave it connected...

csheath

I shouldn't need to disconnect my ground rod at the generator when I remove the bonding strap should I? I have a copper rod tied to the ground terminal.