• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ground hop question

danoscooter

I'm attempting to ground hop a motor I got in a can and have a few questions. I have my batteries set up in series for the 24v starter but how do I connect them to the starter. The big bolt on the back of the starter I take is the positive right? Then what with the negative?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The engine block.

Don't forget to use 12v to the IP shutoff(cucv), or 24v for a humvee IP.

danoscooter

Thanks that's what I was thinking. Its a no go on the starter. What are the odds of it going bad now. It was working fine installed in the 09. Oh well it looks original anyways.

I did switch out the IP cap with the one off the 09. Thanks for the help.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You did give the starter solenoid 24 volts to trigger the whole thing, right?

danoscooter

Connected it with the positive cable and nothing happened. Checked my battery set up with a meter and it is correct. Batteries are fully charged.

Had - on first battery connected to block. The + on that battery is connected to - on battery 2. + on batter 2 goes to starter. That sound right?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, then 2 more wires.

one to the IP(24+)

and one touched to the solenoid small terminal momentarily to engage the starter.

danoscooter

OK I see. I wasn't doing the the second wire to the starter. Would this other wire going to the wire be a + wire too or a -?

I got a horn switch I could wire in as an ignition.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
24+

Just touch it to the small stud on the solenoid, to crank it over. Remove to stop starter engagement.

Pull your IP wire to shut off.

danoscooter

Thanks doghead! Just to verify. I leave the IP wire disconnected when priming the fuel lines. Then I connect the power to the IP to fire her up.

When I get this going I'll post a video. Just not gonna do it at night.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a thread with some videos of the guy in Colorado that ground hopped 4 engines on his trailer. I'll see if I can find it.

danoscooter

Finally had time to do the ground hop!

Finally had time and nice enough weather to ground hop my 6.5. Took a little bit of tinkering to get it to fire up. Some leaking fuel lines and having to manually operate the glow plug one by one took some time. She rattled pretty good upon start up evened out after a bit. I didn't run her too much since I didn't want to overheat her.

Towards the end of my test run the motor started to sound like it was bogging down but only on one side. I'd rev it up and the sound would disappear. My first thought was that it was the exhaust manifold leaking or something since i reused the old seals. After looking over the motor tonight I noticed that three of the four glow plugs on that side were really loose. Don't have time till Sunday to start it back up again but could that be a cause for the sound of the motor bogging down?

Anyways here are some of the pictures of my ground hop experience.

Thanks,

Daniel

Attachments

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pic 6, is a "circuit board"!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks