• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ground Straps on the Deuce

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the process of tracing an intermittent problem with the head lights. At times, hi and lo beams work, other times only the low beam. I replaced a very crusty-looking dimmer switch that at times would stick. still have the problem.

I have the TM 9-2320-361-20 showing how to check the lighting system with a VOM meter, and also how to check voltage at the dimmer and main light harness.

My thinking is I have a bad ground. How many places are there on the truck I can check for proper ground? I am not up-to-speed on reading wiring schematics.:idea:

Thanks for your help! :D

Flyingvan911

Behind the battery box is the main ground, the left rear side of the engine has a ground strap. I'm not home right now so I can't see where the headlights ground. I say clean them all. It can only help the truck.

eagle4g63

If you look there is a ground from the back of the headlight panel(on the engine bay side) that goes down to the frame. I can look tomorrow to see how many more I see. Those just popped out when you said headlights.

Darwin T

the bottom center wire (i think thats the one) should have a wire going to the frame. to you have a 3 switch lightswitch or the push button? the 3 switch one grounds to the dash with the screws and the push button one has a seperate grounding wire. since you replaced the dimmer switch and the high beams are the only thing going out check the headlight connections in the bucket and behind the bucket. even though that should only effect one light if it was loose or bad. an some dielectric bulb grease to all of the connection, this should help with the corosion (crusty stuff) :D. i had some grimlins when i got my first truck and replaced both the front and rear wiring harness and fixed the problems. sometimes the wires just get old and the insulation cracks and you get shorts of gronds were they are not suspose to be. this is just some of the stuff i have gone through.