• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Grounding Mep-802a while load testing etc

ribs1

Hello,
I have the Map-802a properly grounded when connected to my house through a transfer switch.
My question is when I am not connected to the house for load testing or other purposes do I need to reattach the ground strap and drive a ground rod?
Thanks

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello,
I have the Map-802a properly grounded when connected to my house through a transfer switch.
My question is when I am not connected to the house for load testing or other purposes do I need to reattach the ground strap and drive a ground rod?
Thanks
Like @DieselAddict said, ground it.

The reasoning is pure simple safety and logic.

There really aren't but two choices:
1. Drive (and test) the ground
2. As the human, YOU can be the ground (bad for your health)

Humans being mostly water and maybe on damp grass or dirt conduct electricity really well.
Your personal goal naturally is to stay alive and not be the conductor.

Attachments

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Hello,
Thanks
I’m generally lazy, but after being bit by an un-grounded set, I now go ground crazy. Cheap insurance.

Ps the shock doesn’t give you superpowers sadly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nextalcupfan

When I was doing initial testing after I first got my 803a I did ground it, though probably not enough.
I drive a piece of rebar into the ground about 6-8in and hose clamped some wire to it.

I DID have continuity to the ground from the set though.

ribs1

I have a reliance pro/tran transfer switch. Can I just plug the generator into the power inlet box but not switch the transfer switch from line to gen? I am pretty sure the ground goes all the way through and is not switched?
I did have an electrician install this switch.
Thanks

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a reliance pro/tran transfer switch. Can I just plug the generator into the power inlet box but not switch the transfer switch from line to gen? I am pretty sure the ground goes all the way through and is not switched?
Thanks
Are you going to bet your life on it? If not, run your own ground!

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks
You are correct that the ground should not be switched. Making that connection would ground it.

I don't know if you run your generator in the same place all the time but just as a FYI, I have a ground rod driven where I work on generators that I use to ground them. Ground rods are pretty cheap and assuming you don't have rocky soil (like I have here) they are not too hard to sink. Well worth the safety factor.