• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Grounding MEP in pickup bed

rickf

Considering that you are using this in a commercial application with people touching the vehicles you really need to go by code. I would get in touch with the local code enforcement people and also refer the the NEC book. No matter what, Code Enforcement has the final say. Keep in mind that if you decide to go your own way and someone gets as much as shocked you WILL be sued! If one of us tells you how to do it and then someone gets shocked we can be named in that lawsuit.

aredman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok thanks for the guidance. I surely don’t want to get sued or one of you.

Maybe I should have asked what other people have done in a similar situation.

rickf

You could have but the results in the end are the same. Anytime you are dealing with people in a commercial setting you need to have all your ducks in a row. AND all the required inspections. This way you are covered if something does happen. In this case your question for us has been answered and it is an easy enough job to do, but you are sure to need an inspection before operating. But if you have done everything required by the code then the inspection should go well. Electricity is dangerous so there are no shortcuts allowed. This also pertains to personal only use, shortcuts can kill you.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The reason why I was suggesting you look at that section of code is its much easier to comply if the generator is mounted to the vehicle it powers. Putting the generator in the truck changes how you have to do things.

You'll need to look at NEC and local codes. It could be a good call to discuss with the local inspections department and/or an ele-chicken that knows the local codes.