• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Grounding neutral at the house (non SDS) MEP _802a chassis ground question

Zebcorod

I have been reading all the older forum post about proper grounding. I can't find any examples of my setup. I have a picture attached with my question. I want to make sure where the MEP-802a chassis ground is. I have neutral bonded at the house main electrical panel (non separately derived system). Our system is grounded at the house. We are off grid single phase 120 volts. I know that the Hot (black) wire goes to L3 lug, and the neutral (white) goes to N lug, and the bare copper ground goes to the GND lug. Then, do I need to ground the MEP-802a chassis only at the generator with a separate grounding rod? Our existing gas powered honda generator chassis is grounded at the generator.

chassis ground location.jpg

Thanks

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use the big ground lug and you will be in good shape. The terminals there on right are just for bonding the ground and neutral.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
OK, if the picture is from your generator, it is missing the bonding bar.

Below is a picture with a ground rod in the ground connected to a load bank.
1 phase lug connections.jpg
The bonding bar is what ties the neutral and ground together.

In the field with ground rod = ground strap is in place.

Hooked to house with proper grounding system = ground strap disconnected, and all 4 wires from lugs to your house panel.