• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Group 31 Battery tray fab for my M35

markehle

I had just about had it with trying to get lead-post batteries to work with my deuce. I saw the threads about using group 31's and how they should fit in the plastic battery box but I could not get them to fit so I thought I would make my own tray. I used 1/8" angle and 1 3/4" 11 gauge square tubing. It's the first project that I got to use my new MIG welder (Hobart handler 140) on gas instead of flux-core - it makes a huge difference. There's not a whole lot to it but I thought I would post some pics in case someone else wants an idea or two.

Attachments

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice I was thinking about doing away with the plastic box and do something like you did. I was thinking a flat piece of plate just slid in and using hold downs and bar stock like you did. There is no reason for the plastic box and group 31's are so nice and easy to use. Good job.

Crawdaddy

I have 3 group 31s in the plastic box on my deuce. The 3rd battery is for a separate 12 volt system. In every dimension they fit perfectly with virtually no room to spare side to side and front to back. I pretty much don't even have to worry about securing them.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have 3 group 31s in the plastic box on my deuce. The 3rd battery is for a separate 12 volt system. In every dimension they fit perfectly with virtually no room to spare side to side and front to back. I pretty much don't even have to worry about securing them.
I would like to see a pic of that.

The King Machine

Nice work!

I did a similar system for my truck, but I kept the box intact. I wanted to mount an easy electrical cut off switch. I fabed up some simple angles with redi rod.
Then used the CNC machine at work to cut out some cool hold downs. I laid a piece of rubber mat down under the batteries and under the clamps also.

Attachments

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I apologize. I got the group number wrong. I used group 65s with 850 CCA. I think the original application for the batteries were Ford trucks with a diesel engine.
No worries but I was wondering how much grease you used to get 3 31's in the Deuce box.
I still like 31's for the hex nut top and to stay away from the lead connectors.

Last edited:

wilfreeman

Here is a pic of my 2 group 31s in the plastic battery box. A third should fit. I had to turn the screws securing the handles around so that the heads were on the inside.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks