• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Growly Steering M925a2

mzak88

Apologies in advance, I have searched the forums but with no luck. I have a 1990 BMY M925a2. Up here vehicles over 8200kg in GVW must get yearly inspections like any other heavy truck. One issue my inspector had was with the steering growl. Not sure where to start with this, anyone have any pointers?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you checked the fluid level? I assume so, but I had to ask. They whine a bit if they are low on fluid. If it is low, you could have leaking seals somewhere. In that case, I suggest using Lucas power steering fluid/additive. I once had a truck with such a leak and, after a couple of bottles, the seal swelled and never leaked again.

mzak88

Fluid level is good, appears to be motor oil. Not sure if this is a normal thing for these trucks or not. Mechanical inspector guy was concerned and is one of the "problems" he wants corrected before it gets a pass.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Motor oil was standard for logistics in the military. Drain and flush and use dextron iii atf. The growl will subside. Dextron has anti wear additives in it.
Fluid level is good, appears to be motor oil. Not sure if this is a normal thing for these trucks or not. Mechanical inspector guy was concerned and is one of the "problems" he wants corrected before it gets a pass.

mzak88

Motor oil was standard for logistics in the military. Drain and flush and use dextron iii atf. The growl will subside. Dextron has anti wear additives in it.
What would be the best method to drain and flush? Any simple way? Or just disconnecting stuff and letting her drip?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks