• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Grrr...Mon camion est merde (Truck broken again)

Braunchitis

I have a 1986 M1009. It's been pretty much a money pit. A week or so ago, I was trying to get it started and something broke, and now the starter can't even turn the engine over. Right now, I'm in France taking a class for two more weeks, so any communication on the subject has been through email. (The truck's in Missouri, by the way)

My mechanic (who's trustworthy) told me it could cost up to $2000 to fix. It also has some problem with the electrical system (the glow plugs aren't getting warm) AND the tank needs to be cleaned out. This mechanic has offered to buy the engine for $2500, and someone else seemed interested in the body. I paid $2500 for it, but I don't really want to chop it up and sell it off.

What would you guys do? I'm a student and don't have a much money at all for this kind of crap. I like this truck, but it has been a pain for the 6 months I've had it.

How hard would it be to put a manual transmission in it? What kinds would work, if this were feasible? I was kind of wanting to do that anyway. What would you do?

Thanks

Streetgliderx

RE: Grrr

honestly if you can get your money out of the engine alone then i would sell. i know they aint MVs but civi blazers round here in bama can be bought for 2500 in great runnin shape. i own one myself

mangus580

$2000 worth of work? Why not direct your mechanic here to talk with us and help diagnose it?

Better yet... just let it sit until you get home. Then we can help you out. It shouldnt take that much to get it up and going.

BTW... please adjust the thread title to something USEFUL.

mangus580

For those suggesting sell it/part it... Keep in mind, MOST CUCV series electrical problems (including glow plugs, starter etc) stem from lack of knowledge of the system.

From his description of events... I will say he probably needs the following

Starter relay ($25)
MAYBE a starter ($250)
Glow Plugs ($70)
Glow Plug Controller ($125)

Time? 2-3 hours?

I say give it the couple weeks to where you can get home and work on it some with our help....

Mike_Pop

RE: Re: RE: Grrr

I agree with Mangus580...sounds like the standard M1009 problems that can easily be diagnosed through Steel Soldiers. I would let the truck sit until you got back from France.

sak00

Re: RE: Grrr

sak00 said:
I'd say sell it or part it and use the money to buy another one in better shape.
With the electrical problems, I was under the understanding that there was a transmission and engine problems. If it is just electrical, I agree with Mike. Keep it and we can get it running.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter

If you can get $2500 for a 6.2 used engine I would not hesitate on parting it out.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I would wonder about the trustworthy mechanic. $2000 and he doesn't know whats wrong? He's offering you $2500 for a running 6.2 which tells me he has a customer that needs one and has money. Way above market. One could buy a tested runner from Teds for a little over a grand. Unless you want the money, I'd wait.

Braunchitis

The problem, according to this mechanic, is with the transmission. The day before I left, I tried starting it. It turned over for about 5 seconds and then started making a terrible grinding noise and wouldn't turn over anymore. The trans had been making a strange noise for a while when it was at low RPMs, like something was vibrating inside that shouldn't have. I was hoping it would last till I left so I could leave it at a shop while I was gone and wouldn't be needing it.

I think the starter's probably OK, but supposedly something is broke in the trans.
I could do the manual glow plug thing (that's if the GPs are OK) and clean the tank out myself, but I was kind of hoping to have a running truck when I got back.

If the trans is shot, how hard would it be to put a SM465 in it?

Thanks

mangus580

Hmmm I doubt the 'transmission' is shot. Sounds like you got a bad flex plate.

Pretty easy fix.

even if the tranny is toast, a direc replacement TH400 is rather cheap. Nothing worth partsing hte truck out over.

I dont recall which tranny the 465 is....

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial

Alot easier to put another TH400 in, and cheaper. I've done a Manual to Auto converision on a 79 K10 pickup, it was a PITA, the hard part will be rounding up all the little things you need to do the conversion.....

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Grrr

Could be the bendix on the starter is locked up. I had to replace several of those. Could be the ring gear on the flex plate is toast. I had to put a new plex plate on mine because the teeth were worn/broken in a few spots. Easy fix. I would sit on it until you get back from France.

If you really think it is the tranny and you can turn it over with a socket, you could always unbolt the flex plate from the torque converter, back the transmission out a bit, and try to start the engine.

When changing the flex plate, I put two long bolts in the bottom of the bell housing and took the rest out. That allows you to pull the tranny backwards once you undo the bolts at the cross-member. Once you have some room there you can do all kinds of stuff like the flex plate, the torque converter, the rear seal, etc...

Tibby

My wife knows French. A polite translation of merde is 'fecal material'. The translation is "My truck is sh&#".

Wait until you come back. $2000? I have decided to essentially do a gradual restoration of my rather poor condition truck. I get it back from a reputable shop tomorrow. The bill is $1,480. For that I got both the 700R4 trans and the NP208 t-case rebuilt . . . labor and all parts.

Years ago I had a '77 Chevy K20 with the SM465 transmission. No overdrive for highway mileage, but they are good solid units.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks