• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Grumman OV-1B Mohawk For Sale

rhinob

That might be the price. They're not practical, just cool. And if a chip detector light illuminates, think $100,000 for starters. Like the Cessna 310. It's a $65,000 airplane, but maintenance and repairs are as though it's a $1 million aircraft. It's always about the care and feeding.

Here's my old ride, a 1970 Cessna C-310Q. One engine overhaul w/accessories, which I did myself, cost me about half of what I bought it for.

Attachments

maynard83

None of these warbirds are really practical, just cool to have a piece of history.
As for the divorce, you mean there are free divorces out there? Where?:p

toptiger

That 310 is sweeet!
One the prettiest civilian private a/c ever designed IMO

ahhhh those chip detector lights- meant mission canceled in the service but as was said above, in private hands it could clear out a bank account.

rhinob

That 310 is sweeet!
One the prettiest civilian private a/c ever designed IMO

Thanks. Like any complex machine, it required a bit of maintenance. I think that the designer at Cessna had a love affair with the Messerschmitt 262. If you look at both aircraft head on, they have a very similar shape through the fuselage.

jasonjc

eng and tranmissions have chip detectors,they will tell if parts start to come apart. They have a magenet that attracts all the metal in the oil and when enought metal gets on them it makes a circuit and truns on a light. Some can even brun off the fine stuff and will only light when you have big pices.

pmramsey

The cost ofoperation on a per hour basis is in the $2500-$3000 range for this bird. Flying yourself and a buddy to lunch several airfields away makes a couple of cheeseburgers very expensive. There are a few airshows that will pay the owner to show up for a weekend. One can often get a a couple of grand, a hotel night, and a fuel top off for all the trouble on the way out of town. Trust me, owning one is like taking a pee in a dark suit; you get a warm feeling but the event goes mostly unnoticed.

top_prop

Chip detector light?
Turbine engines usually have magnetic sensors in the oil system (usually in the sump near where the scavenge pump sucks in its oil). If enough metal particles, or one big one, bridge the gap between to posts near the magnet it turns a light on in the cockpit that is usually labeled "CHIP"

Not a good light to have come on... typcially means shut the engine down right now, or expect it to fail right now... but that really depends on the engine... sometimes its just normal wear and tear...

combatmech

I worked for Cavanaugh Flight Museum in Dallas for several years, They have a Mohawk. It has some fairly serious corrosion in the wings.....Good ol' Grumman iron works.

ProviderDriver

You will find that as the price of 100LL and JetA go higher, the price of these wonderful aircraft go lower...as some previous posters above noted...right now I am buying 100LL for north of 8 dollars a gallon in some locations...and with an aircraft that burns WELL north of 200 Gallons PER HOUR...you're looking at 1600+ dollars and hour just in fuel...then factor in average 100,000 dollar overhauls on each engine. That beautiful Douglas DC-4 for 75,000 bucks looks like a steal...until you gotta put gas in it to fly her home...it cost 10 grand or more to fill the fuel tanks...The price of fuel and aviation gas is going to kill these amazing pieces of history...:-(

toptiger

I saw one up close in Vn, real close. north of Bien Hoa 1968
Night patrol in a UH-1, 0200 hrs, all lights out, 1000 ft., 100 kts.
Counter rocket mortar mission.
My right seat gunner screams 'Watch Out'.
In a flash I see a Mohawk pass under my rotor blades, his left wing tip about 2 feet from my windshield. All his lights were out, too, as he was on a recon.
Don't know if it was a SLAR ship or not.
It was over in a second.
I think about that a lot.
I called him on guard but he didn't answer.
Doubt he saw me at all.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks