• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

gsrvsdv

rdixiemiller

You might have tight clearances by the steering column, although you could just set the motor farther forward. I see no issues with the 700R4 tranny, but I would use the stock deuce t-case to keep the driveshaft angles stock. Can't see any real advantage to changing the t-case out. All you really would gain is an engine capable of higher RPM, and with less torque. HP is close to the same. No multifuel capability, which makes it a diesel only proposition. Some would like the auto tranny, some would not. Certainly do-able.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I wouldnt do it. In my experiences, the 6.2 is fine for a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton truck that doesnt haul heavy loads and economy is needed. The empty weight of a duece would really make that motor work really hard and without a trubo, they are absolute turds. If you were going to do all that work to change out the motor, you should spend a little more and get a nice medium duty diesel engine. Just my opinion, I know alot of people love the 6.2/6.5 engine like I used to but lets face it, 240lbs of torque aint gonna cut it in a duece.

rdixiemiller

Six cylinder inlines are what fit a deuce well. The small six Cummins is popular, and I would imagine there are others that would fit as well. A 4-71 Detroit would be a fun swap. The 300 CID Ford gas straight six is supposed to make a good motor for a deuce. I used to drive dump trucks with the 240 or 300 Ford, good motors in that application.
Still hard to beat the multifuel. It fits, is available reasonably, and makes decent power and economy. I can't imagine swapping to a different motor except maybe the Cummins, and then only if I had a wrecked dually with a good engine and a deuce with none.

ida34

Inline ford 300 sixes were great engines. My grandfather was a carpenter and he would order a heavy 3/4 ton truck every few years with the 300 and 3 on the tree. They were not fast but they did have alot of torque and would pull a heavy load all day. Downside is it would take you all day to get there.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
My first new truck was a 92 F150 with the 4.9 (300 C.I.D.) Inline 6. It was a great motor, a little thirsty for a 6 cylinder but I loved it. I dont think much changed with them over the years besides adding fuel injection.

cuc-v

like they said, 6.2s are good for light duty but no good for a 5ton...also the 700 isnt gunna get the job done they have shity clutches and are geared too high, ur gunna need a 400 or a 4 speed w/granny low. and the t-case personally i would go with a 205...but thats me.

JDToumanian

A 4-71 Detroit would be a fun swap.
Now yer talkin! Although I think a 71 series would be too tall, crank center-line down to front axle. NAPCO makes a conversion kit to put a Detroit Diesel 4-53N in a deuce, and it requires slightly limiting suspension travel to not wipe out the oil pan... a 4-71N would have the same issue but worse.

http://napcointl.com/en/home/product_divisions/repower_retrofit.html

If your multifuel blows up, or you want to mate up some other heavy-duty diesel to the deuce drive-line because you like a particular engine (like I like 2-stroke Detroits), I could understand. But the 6.2/6.5 are LIGHT DUTY diesels. They would be putting out max power all the time to run the deuce and would not last long. Likewise with the transmission - a 9 or 10 speed Road Ranger makes sense and would last, but a light truck transmission is a waste of the effort required to do the swap.

2cents You get what you pay for... :lol:

Jon

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Boyce equipment sells bell housing adaptors to put a duece tranny on chevy v8's. But i think i's stick with the multi. I have a few 6.2's and a 6.5td. The multi is much more relible!!!

rdixiemiller

Although it is often viewed as heresy, some of the Japanese medium truck diesels are tough little engines. I have never looked at how hard they would be to swap, because I am happy with my multi fuel. You couldn't afford to feed a gas V-8 in a deuce, not for road trips. Now for mud bogging, where you don't care about fuel consumption, I'm sure there are many better choices than the LDT engine.
Bottom line, for most users the multi is hard to beat.

JDToumanian

It currently has the gas engine in it.
Ah, I see now. The big gas engines kinda fascinate me, but I'm not sure I would want one either. I do know, however, that I'd rather have a gasser in my deuce than a 6.2!

Personally, I would keep the gas engine until a good deal was found on a more appropriate diesel, preferably an inline six (or Detroit four cylinder), be it a Cat, Cummins, Multifuel, Detroit, or whatever strikes your fancy. Deals can be found, shop around. Heavy truck wreckers usually have take out engines, Adelman's surplus has just about every engine you can think of at fair prices, (they're tested running take-outs) and eBay is also a source.

You've got to do the same amount of work to do the swap whether you use a 6.2 or not, so you might as well put something in there that will work good and last. Resale value would be higher with a heavy duty diesel, too.

And I do agree the 6.2L might have problems with fit in the engine bay. BUT it was a valid question the Doc asked.
I'm sure it's do-able, but I think the consensus if that there are better engine choices to lavish your hard work, time, and money on.

Regards,
Jon

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey Wallew,
I ran a M1009 for 10 years and the 6.2L always did just fine hauling it around. But, when you are talking about a 12k plus vehicle, I don't know that it would cut the mustard. You might be ahead to sell the 6.2 and put the money into Randy's multifuel.

If you were die-hard to use the 6.2L you could always keep an eye on eBay or other sites for a Banks turbo kit for it. That would give you the extra power you would need. The 700R4 would probably last a little while before cooking its guts. A TH400 would be a better mate or easier still, just adapt the 6.2 to the deuce tranny.

My $.02

Chris

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Do you have any big truck salvage yards in your area Jim? I saw one when I was living in Memphis, TN that had lots of old trucks as well as school buses which might have and variety of Cat 3208s, cummins, detroits, etc... Might be worth a shot?

Manstein

Chaplain Emeritus
Take it from a Chevrolet Service Manager... NO WAY. Both combinations are fine for a light duty application, but not a deuce. Everything inside a 6.2 is too weak. A 6.5 turbo diesel would be a better bet but the 700R4 transmission would never hold up. The best combo would be the 6.6 Duramax with the Allison trans. If you found a totalled truck that you could steal all the computers and wiring, that combo would work. The 6.6 has been running for about 10 or 12 years in GM "W" series trucks throughout Asia.(W series are the cab over medium duty trucks) They tested it there and then cleaned up the emissions and launched it here. GM needed a good battle proven diesel to help them recover from the 6.2/5.7 dissaster of the late 70's and early 80's.

Hookin1

Manstein said:
Take it from a Chevrolet Service Manager... NO WAY. Both combinations are fine for a light duty application, but not a deuce. Everything inside a 6.2 is too weak. A 6.5 turbo diesel would be a better bet but the 700R4 transmission would never hold up. The best combo would be the 6.6 Duramax with the Allison trans. If you found a totalled truck that you could steal all the computers and wiring, that combo would work. The 6.6 has been running for about 10 or 12 years in GM "W" series trucks throughout Asia.(W series are the cab over medium duty trucks) They tested it there and then cleaned up the emissions and launched it here. GM needed a good battle proven diesel to help them recover from the 6.2/5.7 dissaster of the late 70's and early 80's.
Or you could use a 7.3 powerstroke with the ford 5 speed with overdrive.....we had them in our little wreckers and they did great....the 550 superduty i drove weighed in at 12,000lbs empty...so on a average it weighed about 16,000lbs when towing a vehicle...of course sometimes it towed trucks it's same weight for long distance

Elwenil

I agree with the other guys, a 6.2 would be a bad choice. I think it would be taxed out just hauling the Deuce around empty. I also agree that the 700R4 would be overloaded and I would be surprised if a NP208 transfer case lasted a month. That's way over it's torque rating I'm sure. As for the NH250, they are too long, hence the extended nose on the M800 series 5 tons. The multi sounds like the best swap and is at least fairly common and straight forward. Anything else would be a pain to get everything to work together and would probably nickle and dime you to death. My .02