• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Guess my cheap m1009 isnt going to be so cheap

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got it on the road last week. Trans was leaking a little, took it in for gasket and filter replacement. Turns out its the seal....errrrrr. Just got done fixing the backwindow,regulator and sash, now this. They're estimating 900 to do it. Sound about right? I really don't want to pull it myself.

blackhueys

which seal is it input or output or is it inside, that seems high to me without knowing which seal it is.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would pull it myself and get the tranny rebuilt a bench job around here is about $300 from a reputable builder . I wouldn't waste the money to pull it and just replace the front seal . rebuild it and you know what you have.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe that's what the shop was quoting?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe that's what the shop was quoting?
You would hope so . But years ago I was a R & R guy at a couple of chain places and seen managers charge for a complete rebuild give a 6 month warranty and just have us replace the front seal and hope it lasted the 6 months . If not it was no biggie to them they over charged enough the first time to pull it again and rebuild it . Wholesale rebuilt kits are dirt cheap, the money is in the labor not parts.

wayne pick

I agree with porkysplace, pull it yourself and save some $$$. Depending on your skill level, with some help, you could have it pulled in no more than an hour and a half. When reinstalling be careful and line up the splines so you can mate up the engine and trans by hand, no pulling it togeather with the mounting bolts. That $900 estimate sounds steep to me, I'd shop arround, get a written estimate if you don't want to pull it yourself. Ripoff tranny shops are everywhere. Good luck.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys, I'm gonna shop around. I have the skill level, just don't have the ambition to do it myself. The quote was just for replacement of the seal. They said 8 hours of labor! Thought that sounded a bit high.

Good call on getting it rebuilt while it's out. I was fretting on whether to pull it my self or pay some$$$ to have it done. Didn't even think of rebuilding it.

Last edited:

epartsman

Way too much for a seal replacement. Shop it. I just paid a diesel tech friend of mine $520 to do the dog head mod, rear main, dsg stud girdle, pan gasket, flywheel, starter, service and seal both axles, trans service, front brakes, install both batteries and cables, replace fuel filter, and service the transfer case. Not including parts though which to me was a deal considering my time is limited.