• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Guilty Pleasure

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
According to the DLA stickers on auctioned trucks, M1008 trucks were originally purchased in the 1980s for:

Regular capacity single rear tires ~ $15,751
Heavy Duty single rear tires ~ $18,000
Heavy Duty dually ~ $20,117

My later version Chev 1986 Contact Maint M1031 ~ $41,346

Adjusted for inflation to 2018, that would be around $36,895, $42,160, $47,120 and $96,850 respectively.

rustystud

According to the DLA stickers on auctioned trucks, M1008 trucks were originally purchased in the 1980s for:

Regular capacity single rear tires ~ $15,751
Heavy Duty single rear tires ~ $18,000
Heavy Duty dually ~ $20,117

My later version Chev 1986 Contact Maint M1031 ~ $41,346

Adjusted for inflation to 2018, that would be around $36,895, $42,160, $47,120 and $96,850 respectively.
If I remember correctly, my CUCV was a M1028 . The data plate was removed years ago during my conversion. I had most of the parts stored in my container, but last year we had to move it so I sent over 7 tons of metal to the recycle plant. Almost all the spare parts from the CUCV went. I did keep the dual battery trays which are still mounted in the truck, and I kept the frame braces. I forgot to put them back on when I replaced the engine. Now the exhaust goes into that area so I just saved the brackets. Also I reused the heavy duty radiator. I run my power steering fluid through the engine oil cooler part, and still use the transmission cooler along with two external coolers. I had to replace all the wiring as there was a fire from the resistor bank which totally burnt the engine compartment. I forgot. I also saved the rifle mounts. I removed them and installed speakers back there. I might try and mount them in the deuce somehow.

Now those look really nice ! Was it a hard conversion ? At this time I'm spending most of my free time trying to get the deuce ready for my great expedition up north. Now with the new truck there is no urgency to fix up the old 1984 anymore.
I'm still keeping it. My son says he has first "dibs" on it !
I know all about that Lumbar Fusion surgery ! Wish I hadn't done it. I could handle the pain then. Now it has gone up to a whole new level ! Plus during the surgery they "accidently" drilled the screw into my spinal cord causing permanent nerve damage to my right leg.
Fun !
What have you guys done with your backs?!!... lift with the legs man!

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I remember correctly, my CUCV was a M1028 . .
Yes, the Heavy Duty CUCVs noted by the HD in the VIN were on the 1028 chassis. The Duallys, Shelter Carriers and Contact Maint trucks started as 1028 chassis trucks

Last edited:

cucvrus

An M1010 does not have the limited slip front axle or the auxiliary leaf springs on the rear axle. The M1010 was a cab chassis that was made to be an M1010. I seen one CUCV that never made M1010 status with a regular cargo bed on it. The A/C lines were still capped off and the big generators were still on it. It also had electrical Gremlins as it had about 5K miles on it and would not start. It was at SECO 23 years ago. I worked him on price but I never made the deal. Last time I seen it they were parting it out. I bought 2 M1010's from him back in the day. I also always wondered why the M1010 had the braided fabric oil cooler lines. I had a plow truck and it was made from an M1010 and them lines never leaked.

rustystud

Did you remove some of the badges? Is it a 4X4 Diesel?
Are you talking about my old CUCV or the new truck ? Both are 4x4 diesels or where. I sold the engine out of my CUCV. Got $500.00 for it. Put a Chevy 383 Hi-torque in it's place.
My new truck has the 6.6 DuraMax with a Six speed Allison transmission. The transfer-case is shifted on the dash. Not sure what the transfer-case is though. I still need to buy the service manuals but they have not come out yet.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was under the impression that all trucks where made in Mexico. Now I see mine was made in Flint. Are all Chevy trucks then made here in the states ?
Most come out of Flint

[ The Silverado pickup is General Motors Co.'s best-selling vehicle. Most Silverados are made in Flint, Mich., and Fort Wayne, Ind. But four-door crew cab versions are made at GM's assembly plant in Silao, Mexico, which opened in 1995 ]

cucvrus

My 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 4 door Crew Cab is being made in Fort Wayne Indiana. Here is an copy and paste from a GM letter.

Regular cab is last to launch too, I assume due to the fact that Ft.Wayne is handling crew cab and double cab launch production. Once Silao starts spitting out crew cab T1 trucks (they are still doing 2018 crew cab), the regular cab will ramp up at Ft.Wayne. Given how K2 was, I'd expect WT and LT for sure, and we might get Custom, Custom TB, RST and LT TB.
I have a Custom Trail Bos on order. They are all equally produced whether it be Mexico, Canada, Fort Wayne or Flint. Happy Holidays from my family to yours.

https://www.gmupfitter.com/files/media/photo/962/2019_R4B_NG_LD_FS_CK_PU_072018.pdf

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I can understand. I bought my Jeep back in 2010 and have been waiting since then for a diesel powered option. They're supposed to release them next year. But much to my dismay, it appears that they'll only be available in automatics. After putting 3 transmissions in diesel powered Chrysler products, I'll only own a manual from them from now on. I'm going to beg/plead/argue that with the dealer to see if something special can be ordered. Why they'd go down this path of auto only boggles my mind, especially in a jeep.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DTIDs for the M1009 do list $32.xxx as a price. I love all y'all s new trucks. Not going to have one in my lifetime. I'll just keep pushing my HHR.

fitz

Rustystud,
Congrats on the new truck.
I've known from your other post that you put the 383HT in your truck. It sounds like it's been installed for a while. I'm thinking of buying 1 for my civy truck. Can you give a quick review on it?
Thanks

rustystud

Rustystud,
Congrats on the new truck.
I've known from your other post that you put the 383HT in your truck. It sounds like it's been installed for a while. I'm thinking of buying 1 for my civy truck. Can you give a quick review on it?
Thanks
Sure. As we all know the 6.5 diesel is a good engine, but it lacks power. So since mine had suffered a severe fire destroying all the electronics I decided to scrap everything and start over. First off the 383HT is one fine engine ! It can tow my 28ft trailer fully loaded with supplies and water and a load in the truck bed up and over "Snoqualmie Pass" at 55 miles an hour. Ok my new truck can probably beat that easily, but the old 1984 with 6.5 engine could never do that ! Also the fuel mileage is way better then the old diesel could ever imagine ! On the Freeway I can average 22 to 26 miles per gallon. Not bad for a 1 ton dually ! Now city driving is another story. I average around 10 miles per gallon. All that stop and go really sucks the fuel.
I almost went with a 454 cid engine like my buddy has in his 1 ton dually. That beast has power like nothing else I've seen !
It also only gets 8 miles per gallon. Freeway or city, 8 miles a gallon. Ok I don't have the fantastic power the 454 has but it can still get up and go. Plus I can get terrific mileage on the freeway. Also cold morning start-ups is no problem anymore. The 6.5 is a cold blooded beast. Until they warm up, they can be a pain as you all know. The 383HT can totally warm-up in under 5 minutes and it is pedal to the metal afterwards. All in all it has been a good swap for me. Of course I miss having a diesel in the old CUCV, just not the old 6.5 diesel ! Now a new DuraMax with the six speed Allison in the old CUCV would be something amazing ! Maybe if I ever find a wrecked Chevy with the DuraMax it might become a reality. Who knows the future ?

rustystud

I can understand. I bought my Jeep back in 2010 and have been waiting since then for a diesel powered option. They're supposed to release them next year. But much to my dismay, it appears that they'll only be available in automatics. After putting 3 transmissions in diesel powered Chrysler products, I'll only own a manual from them from now on. I'm going to beg/plead/argue that with the dealer to see if something special can be ordered. Why they'd go down this path of auto only boggles my mind, especially in a jeep.
Most all manufactures have tried to get out of manuals for some time now. The cost of repairs is extremely high for any manual transmission and with all the trucks coming out with these high mileage warranties the manufactures have had to eat a lot of transmissions from people who don't know how to drive manuals anymore. In fact my 1 ton didn't even have an option for a manual transmission. I had a talk with the regional Chevrolet Service Trainer before I left the Transit dept, and he informed me that GM was trying to phase out all manual transmissions due to the warranty issues. He was giving a class on the new 6L90E transmission used in small transit busses at the time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks