• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gun mount

Crazyguypa

Question for you smart guys. I recently picked up a M66 gun ring mount w/ what appears to be a mk23 cradle. The ring mount spun freely when I picked it up, however the cradle was pretty well rusted in place. A can of PB blaster and I got it out. The socket and the cradle pin were rusted together in a few spots.

My question though is, now that I can move the cradle sided to side, and remove it, I still cannot get it to move freely up and down with out some mechanical agitation. Are the bolts along the side pins what put tension on them causing the cradle to remain in one place? (pics 5 & 6)

Attachments

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The round casting on the side of the cradle has a huge spring in it that balances the weight of a M2 machine. That way when you are bouncing down the road the weapon is a lot easier to control. FIND THE TM before you try and release or adjust the spring tension! I had a buddy knock some teeth loose when I was active trying to adjust one of those.2cents

zb39

What MWMULES said, I have the same mount. Spring is real nice when shooting though!!:-D

Blood_of_Tyrants

Since you said it was rusted, I would say that the best bet it to disassemble it and then sand the rusty spots with 250 grit wet or dry and then grease it down.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The spring is no joke. It will seriously hurt you if you dont know what your doing, or read the TM on how to properly take it apart.

Lonesome715

I am sorry it took me a couple of days to get these photographs. The harness is brand new, I opened it for the photograph. The second bag containes the retractable seat belt assembly. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

Attachments

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't think a harness was used with the M66 ring on the deuce?? Also without seeing a better picture I would guess the two "nubs" are to hold the cushion on the back rest.

Lonesome715

It is a new turret sling. I have seen these in all kinds of turrets on several different vehicles over here. I would imagine getting it to work on an older one would not be that much.

Would someone know what the cap, which is connected by the chain, near the socket is on the mount? Looks like it might cover the socket where the cradle inserts. I have an M66 mount on our M35A2 and am trying to make it complete. Thanks!

jward1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
m66 gun ring

i think that so called cap is an adapter for the other style of pintal, the long skinny one.didn't they have a short and a long pintal? also that odd one on some hummv,s. we have a mount set up also and found the adapter stuck on the storage post on the rings gun mount area.

Crazyguypa

Would someone know what the cap, which is connected by the chain, near the socket is on the mount? Looks like it might cover the socket where the cradle inserts. I have an M66 mount on our M35A2 and am trying to make it complete. Thanks!

The cap is for covering the cradle pin opening when a cradle is not inserted into the ring. There is also a storage place for an adapter for the long pintle (which jward1 was desribing) which is on the other side of the pintle locking handle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks