• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gun ring install

KevinGaus

I want to install my gun ring set up. Each kit seems to be different and done it’s own way, like what is used to install this system. Right now I’m just talking about the poles. Besides steel soldiers, where can I go to see the proper reinforcement brackets and bracing? Do I need reinforcement on the inside of the cab, Or just the outside with U-bolts? What keeps them from sliding down? Or does somebody have pictures of their install that I can go by? I got questions.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should have 3 poles for the M49 or M66 setup: 2 behind the cab and one front right near the exhaust. If the poles are a correct set they should be easily identifiable as to which goes where based on adapter plate and bolt holes. The cab reinforcement kit is encouraged (someone had kits for $50 a few years back -mkcoen I think), more so for the m66 due to the weight, but are mandatory if you plan to shoot anything heavy off the ring. The forces involved can twist and fracture the cab with repeated used. The u-bolts on the rear of the cab are enough to keep the rear posts in place. The correct u-bolts are flat on the inside allowing for more surface grip. I'll see if I can find any photos of my old airforce deuce with an M66 ring on it this evening.

KevinGaus

The big plate going across the back of the interior is more Involved than I thought. I think I got the impression from what you said was the clamping ability of the U bolts keep the poles from sliding down.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need the cab reinforcement plate installed regardless of whether you intend to shoot or not. The M66 gun ring is very heavy. I have a reinforcement plate in my M35A3 and the cab still flexes quite a bit and moans and groans. Depending on the prior use of your poles, you may need to cut off the bottom of the front pole. I had to remove about 6 or so inches if I remember correctly. Otherwise the end of the pole impacts the right front fender. Also, when you install the gun ring, get help. Don't do what I did and try to do it yourself. Installing the gun ring is a real pain and somewhat dangerous. The front post needs to be pressed into the socket. I used forks on my John Deere 5520 tractor to press it home. The alternative is to hammer it in, but this can damage the post. Also, it is advantageous to be able to spin the gun ring to the proper orientation. This was difficult using the forks like I did. Also, the poles are held in position by small pieces of metal welded to the posts and these catch on the U-bolts. Be careful!IMG_0180.JPGIMG_0181.JPGIMG00054-20110504-1452.jpgIMG00055-20110504-1453.jpgIMG00056-20110504-1510.jpgIMG00057-20110504-1511.jpgIMG00058-20110504-1712.jpg

KevinGaus

You need the cab reinforcement plate installed regardless of whether you intend to shoot or not. The M66 gun ring is very heavy. I have a reinforcement plate in my M35A3 and the cab still flexes quite a bit and moans and groans. Depending on the prior use of your poles, you may need to cut off the bottom of the front pole. I had to remove about 6 or so inches if I remember correctly. Otherwise the end of the pole impacts the right front fender. Also, when you install the gun ring, get help. Don't do what I did and try to do it yourself. Installing the gun ring is a real pain and somewhat dangerous. The front post needs to be pressed into the socket. I used forks on my John Deere 5520 tractor to press it home. The alternative is to hammer it in, but this can damage the post. Also, it is advantageous to be able to spin the gun ring to the proper orientation. This was difficult using the forks like I did. Also, the poles are held in position by small pieces of metal welded to the posts and these catch on the U-bolts. Be careful!View attachment 805951View attachment 805952View attachment 805953View attachment 805954View attachment 805955View attachment 805956View attachment 805957
Cutting and pressing the front pole is new knowledge to me. Thank you sir.

m715mike

Have you read the thread that @Valence posted?

m715mike

Besides steel soldiers, where can I go to see the proper reinforcement brackets and bracing?
Not besides Steel Soldiers.... Where on Steel Soldiers...

Check out the PDF file in this post >>

Fuzzy was right. @mkcoen was selling cab reinforcement plates. Although, the price had gone up a bit from $50 when I got one from him. He may still have some.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do have 1 or 2 left, and yes the price has gone up ($150 plus shipping - since you're in TX we might be able to meet somewhere which would save the typical $75 shipping cost or do the "Steel Soldier Shuffle" if someone else is passing through). These are New-In-The-Box kits which include the reinforcement plate, brackets, hardware, and installation instructions.

KevinGaus

I do have 1 or 2 left, and yes the price has gone up ($150 plus shipping - since you're in TX we might be able to meet somewhere which would save the typical $75 shipping cost or do the "Steel Soldier Shuffle" if someone else is passing through). These are New-In-The-Box kits which include the reinforcement plate, brackets, hardware, and installation instructions.
Can you contact me? I’m interested in Understanding more about what you are selling. I’m in Texas

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks