• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gun Ring Mounted

David_4x4

Got the gun ring mounted on the deuce today. Not to difficult, just hot and constantly trying to level and line things up. Still needs a little adjusting. As the ring is difficult to turn. Dont know if it could be just needs grease or because it's very so slightly unlevel/torqued one way. But taht's for another day

Attachments

MilitaryRestoration

Any pictures from the top, ie standing in the back of the bed and looking down onto it? Also does anyone know the correct height to place the ring from the back of the passenger seat or where is best to measure from? And is that a replica m60? Where from? Looks great either way!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fantastic! Looks great, BTW - where did you get the gun ring from?

Also, your bridge plate numbers are wrong. Should be 08.

David_4x4

Re: RE: Gun Ring Mounted

jwaller said:
looks good. did the ring turn easily on the ground before install?
The only attempt I made of moving it on the ground I couldnt keep the ring stable with my lack of resources.. So couldnt spin it.

MilitaryRestoration said:
Any pictures from the top, ie standing in the back of the bed and looking down onto it? Also does anyone know the correct height to place the ring from the back of the passenger seat or where is best to measure from? And is that a replica m60? Where from? Looks great either way!
No pics from that angle right now, but will take some tomorrow. The gun is a real transferrable full auto M-60

maddawg308 said:
Fantastic! Looks great, BTW - where did you get the gun ring from?

Also, your bridge plate numbers are wrong. Should be 08.
We picked up the ring from Sermis I believe. The ring is in really fantastic shape. Just need to get it to start spinning.

Jimmy

Re: RE: Gun Ring Mounted

MilitaryRestoration said:
Also does anyone know the correct height to place the ring from the back of the passenger seat or where is best to measure from?

I could not find any measurements in the TM"s but I put both of mine almost as high as they would go and it still looks alot lower than David's. It works out well as I have a short wife. I would think what ever fits you the best and still allows for the top to come off.

dabtl

RE: Re: RE: Gun Ring Mounted

The ring came from sermis, in Temple, Tx., the legs from Austin Weber in Marble Falls, Tx.

The front leg is set at the lowest point without cutting the leg to fit the fender. It could be lower, but the front leg would require cutting and having never set one on a truck, we had no idea what a lower mounting would do relative to the top.

Most of the morning was spent puzzling how to fit the pieces together. The driver side leg and mounting plate took a bit to figure out. I also went to the hardware store, in advance, and bought too many bolts, washers and locking nuts, I thought. We had one nut and about three extra bolts along with some washers left over. That included using many original bolts that came with the legs and ring.

To do this you will need a lot of bolts and nuts, a fork lift or chain hoist and a great deal of patience.

David_4x4

Got the ring spinning. Took the top cover off and shot it with some oil. Cant make it go around in circles with one throw. But it'll move 3/4 way around. Lot better than what it was doing yesterday.

sermis

Can you post some pic's from the top. I could never get mine to mount in all the holes. I don't have the TM for it so not sure on how it mounts to the legs. I have 2 bolts in each leg except for the front with 1 bolt. Maybe I need to keep turning it to line it up.

I picked me up a replacement the other day. Not quite as good as that one but close. If I ever do the 4dr it will look cool with 2 ring mounts.

ida34

You do need to keep it turning and all four will line up on each leg. Check my post on my install. I took some close up pics of the mounting holes. If you need more let me know.

David_4x4

Re: RE: Re: RE: Gun Ring Mounted

sermis said:
Can you post some pic's from the top. I could never get mine to mount in all the holes. I don't have the TM for it so not sure on how it mounts to the legs. I have 2 bolts in each leg except for the front with 1 bolt. Maybe I need to keep turning it to line it up.

I picked me up a replacement the other day. Not quite as good as that one but close. If I ever do the 4dr it will look cool with 2 ring mounts.
Yeah I will take some in the morning.

The driver side rear leg has 3 bolts mounting the plate to the leg with 4 bolts mounting the leg to the plate. The passenger rear we could only manage 2 bolts, One of each on the far side of the mounting points. And the front leg we got 3 bolts in. If I tinker with the front leg more I could probably get the 4th as it's only about 1/4" shy of giving us the full hole we need to drive a bolt competely threw.

We kept adjusting and turning, but this is about as good as we got... I have some manual coming. So maybe it will definately help out with ideas more.

jwaller

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Gun Ring Mounted

I was looking thru the TM's tonight and discovered there is a locating hole on the MG ring that has to be matched up to a locating hole on the pass side leg. it's a small hole between the two middle holes that bolt the ring to the leg. there is a pic of it on page 1184 of 260-20.

dabtl

ida34 said:
You do need to keep it turning and all four will line up on each leg. Check my post on my install. I took some close up pics of the mounting holes. If you need more let me know.
The problem we ran into was the weight of the ring was balanced on the legs, with the driver side leg and plate being loosely mounted. With them now bolted in securely, turning the ring will be much easier and safer.

But, without the TM you are sort of puzzled about whether or not there is some difference in the hole placement that is not readily apparent. So, now we can check it out again and put more in place.

sermis

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Gun Ring Mounted

jwaller said:
I was looking thru the TM's tonight and discovered there is a locating hole on the MG ring that has to be matched up to a locating hole on the pass side leg. it's a small hole between the two middle holes that bolt the ring to the leg. there is a pic of it on page 1184 of 260-20.
Which TM? Can't find it here.

Attachments

ida34

dabtl said:
ida34 said:
The problem we ran into was the weight of the ring was balanced on the legs, with the driver side leg and plate being loosely mounted. With them now bolted in securely, turning the ring will be much easier and safer.

But, without the TM you are sort of puzzled about whether or not there is some difference in the hole placement that is not readily apparent. So, now we can check it out again and put more in place.
Sorry I should have quoted sermis. I was telling him to look at my pics to help him line up his bolt holes. The flex in the legs can be a problem to. I used a line up tool to get mine to line up for bolt placement.

jwaller

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Gun Ring Mounted

it is TM 9-2320-260-20 I have it on laptop and if I can upload it I will. I cant find the same info in the -10.

jwaller

In his 041 picture you can see the alignment pin or hole location. there is another pin on the leg itself. it's between the center 2 bolt holes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks