• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gun Ring Safety on a Deuce

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
More and more people are mounting M66 rings on Deuces. Something a lot of people don't think about is safety. Everyone knows about locking the Deuce hood back when working on the engine. No one wants to have a gust of wind blow the hood down on their head. Serious injuries and potentially death can result from that heavy hood falling on someone working on the engine. I've seen a Deuce hood crash down on a guy when I was in the Army. Luckily, he only suffered cuts, bruises and an Article 15.

Unfortunately, when an M66 ring is installed on a Deuce, it is impossible to lock the hood back in the normal way. With the ring installed, not only can't you lock it back, but the hood is much closer to vertical than without the ring, because the hood rests against the front of the ring. Time to improvise. I take a bungee cord, hook it on the hood and then hook it on the M66 ring. It only takes a few minutes and can save you a lot of pain, or worse.

KsM715

I have one of those latches on my bobbed deuce, sadly no gun ring to go with it. :-(

Too dark out now, I'll get a pic in the daylight tomorrow

barrygar8

the hood hits the edge of the ring and will not go back so the latch can be used i have a 1x1 oak stick that i use to hold the hood up when i work under that big skull cracker

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Gary is absolutely right. I have a couple of straps I keep in the truck and I always use both.

These hoods are HEAVY!

Clay James

Mine has and extra latch like the other two on the hood. It's up too far to latch to the windshield so I guess they had something on the ring that it hooked to.

jwaller

I keep a 1" ratchet strap in the tool box to secure the hood in the open position. None of the factory latches work with the ring mount.

KsM715

Ill get some good close up pics tomorrow. The hook mounted on the hood would be easy, so would the rod from the windshield. Its the latch on the end that would be tricky. Its got a spring to hold it positively closed so it cant be shaken loose in the wind.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
You shure? How far dose that gun ring stick out? Cant be too much farter or the stack would interfear.....
Sticks out a bit past the windshield, doesn't have to be far to interfere with the hood.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks