• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gun Truck progress (constructive critisism and suggestions appreciated)

Yohan

Congratulations, Sir! You are doing exactly what I have planned!!!:-D I have an uncle who was a Line Hauler in Viet Nam and want to do a truck in his (and every other trucker's) honor. Driver has been a great help in only one short email to him.

Great job and thank you for preserving the great history behind these trucks.

Q: Is that an M66 ring mount and do you find it heavy for the truck. How about the armor... does it dog the truck down a lot?

quonsethut

Thanks for your comments Yohan, I wish you much success in your future project.
If you support the cab and mount the ring correctly you dont even know its there. Ive learned everything must be level and torqued down tight or things will begin to slip out of position and get tweeked. Thus the ring will shudder when on the move and eventually cause cab problems.
I had no problems w/ my doors getting out of wack or cab flexing. check out the pics of the truck under construction. You'll see the pic of the reinforcing plate. It took about 80 bolts and it's solid.
The weight of the Armor actually gives the truck a more solid ride and dont really feel any great stress on the motor it pulls and get up to speed just fine. We estimate the full load, Armor, guns , ammo cans and gear weighing in around 3800 lbs.

flyusn99

The truck looks great.

If you don't mind my asking where did you get the M66 mount at, or did it come with the truck? I've been looking for one but the only place I can find that has them is BMGparts and their price is a bit, well princely for me..... Any leads on where they might be available for a reasonable sum would be very appreciated..

Driver523

When the Ace of Spades ( a 5 ton ) had a 50 in each corner and carried about 100 cans of 50 ammo a couple mini cans with about 1200 rounds each of 7.62 along with anything else they could get their hands on, it weighed ( in Nam ) 34,000 and had no trouble with the truck or suspension-----The replica Ace with a 50 in each front corner twins rear about 150 empty 50 cans and double walled 3/8ths armor and bracing, all the spares across the back, that along with radio gear and everything else weighs 28,000.
The Black widow replica weighs somewhere between 23,000 and 26,000 ( P B I think weighed it and may better know ) again with everything and 3 50s-------Your gonna love your truck--you'll get so any people around it you won't ever get where you wanna go on time---when we stop for even fuel we can't hardly get back on the road, and everywhere we go the guns are on and not covered, we oil em down and there they are--just like back in the day--------------Driver

Attachments

quonsethut

Howdy flyusn99, Thanks for the thumbs up. I got the ring from a buddy of mine near Austin.
This was the last one he had. There is a guy north of Seward Junction near Liberty Hill name
Lynn Shoney. He Has a yard and sells GI Trucks and hardware. I know Lynn has one but not sure what his plans are for it. You can try giving him a call. With him, money talks. Here's his number, 512-413-8786.

quonsethut

Very nice trucks!!! I plan to take mine to a scale when completely done to get an accurate number. Can you suggest where I might find more pics of 2.5 ton gun trucks. Majority of what
I have found are of course are 5 ton.
Thanks,
Ed

Driver523

Quonsethut---I have begun posting deuce gun trucks in another thead----Its under the Gun Truck thread----hope you enjoy them----I know its a long ways but we'd sure love to have you and that truck with us at the next Gathering in Carlisle PA. this next year--------Driver

Yohan

Where are the pics of the truck under construction that you mentioned that show the mounting of the ring? Also, what does the (Vietnamese?) writing on the truck translate to?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks