• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gunner's opening in hard tops

jimm1009

Does anyone have the dimensions on the opening cut in the roof for the gunner to operate his weapon thru when mounted on the Ring Mount? (It is approximately 2 feet according to pictures)
I need to make a Steel Closure or Patch Panel and need the thickness of the top material and the approximate size.
I plan on making it 3/4 inch oversize and then use a English Wheel to roll a joggle or sometimes called a flange around the outside. I will then use steel flush (countersunk) rivets or possible bond it in place using aviation grade adhesive.
(Welding will probably distort the top and make waves in the surface)
I have been looking for the MWO for the ring mount installation to get the size of the hole but it probably one of those that is restricted to us no-longer-in-the-military- guys.
Thanks in advance,
Jim
jimm1009@yahoo.com

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I had a deuce with a "redneck gun turret" on it. A hole had been cut in the hardtop and a cutoff 55 gallon drum had been affixed to it. The drum had a removable locking ring.
It was used for convoy ops training by the SC Nat Guard.
It leaked like a sieve but looked pretty cool.
We took it to a machine gun shoot and fired out of it.
Looked awesome.
I'll post some pics if I can find them.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Never found the pics.....but it was a pretty cool design...it had just been cobbled together too fast. With a little imagination and some good welding it could have been a very good setup.
SInce I want to put my ring mount on my wrecker, and I hate soft tops, I will probably "redneck engineer" a removable hatch. I am more concerned with function than beauty.

Maverick1701

Never found the pics.....but it was a pretty cool design...it had just been cobbled together too fast. With a little imagination and some good welding it could have been a very good setup.
SInce I want to put my ring mount on my wrecker, and I hate soft tops, I will probably "redneck engineer" a removable hatch. I am more concerned with function than beauty.

you mean like a hatch to open/close? because that would look pretty badass.....

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
you mean like a hatch to open/close? because that would look pretty badass.....
I am thinking more in terms of a removable lid that can be kept sealed up unless you need to man the weapon. A hatch that would open and close on a hinge would prob be difficult to manuver under the ring mount and would be in the way unless it would lay flat.
Any creative folks out there got ideas?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
At the Fontana scrap yard, there a quite a few aluminum covers for the HEMTT cab with the M66 ring mount. I can pick one up tomorrow and send a pic if you like.

saddamsnightmare

August 8th, 2009.

Dear Will:

Grab one of the HEMTT covers if you must, but I would suggest making the cover with a hinge (piano type) across from left to right on the center line, you'll have to work a seal out for it, but it should hinge or flip under while the main back panel flips over onto a rest at the rear of the hatch, that way you would clear the .50 or whatever's mounted when your co-driver chooses to open the hatch. The folded cover would be completely out of the way of the ring mount. In California you want a ring mount???? Who do you think you are...... The Groppenfuerher?:twisted: Just ask Ahhnold if you can borrow his M60 tank, solves the whole problem of portable weapons all at once! Chances are you just wanta take the Bunnies for a cruise and you're gonna tell them your SUV has a sun roof!

Cheers,
Kyle F. McGrogan:twisted:

N.B. Will, I got an old deuce mechanic that will change my rear main seal on the M35A2 for about $450.... given that I have no shop nor inclination (due to a recovering shoulder after surgery) to wrestle the beast, is it a fair deal for a diesel mechanic?

yeager1

I have an original turret top and thought of doing a hinge as you suggested, but then relized I could no longer drive with it open (which is nice but loud!) so I'm doing a standard diamond plate cover. Here's an inside pic.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks