• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

gutless turd

gregary

I drove my first duece home from Little Rock today, 255 miles with no problems!!!. It ran flawlessly, not even a hiccup, but these trucks are much less powerfull than I imagined. Has anybody tried intercooling one? How much trouble is it to turn the pump up? Can we increase the boost without hurting the engine? I am considering bobbing with 53" tires but am afraid it will never get out of 4th gear.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

I drove my first duece home from Little Rock today, 255 miles with no problems!!!. It ran flawlessly, not even a hiccup, but these trucks are much less powerfull than I imagined. Has anybody tried intercooling one? How much trouble is it to turn the pump up? Can we increase the boost without hurting the engine? I am considering bobbing with 53" tires but am afraid it will never get out of 4th gear.
it only has 130hp@2600rpm... now put that through a .79:1 OD gearset and a transfer case with a high range of 1.01:1 and top it off with 6.72:1 rear ends you're not going to go fast. Your options are this: more rpm which will help out on the flats and hills, or new gears for real improvements in speed. If you put a .65:1 od gear set in the transmission you can get the truck up about 70mph without changing the engine from the road speed formulas I'm using. Personally I want a lower-range and higher-high range by using either a new fuller six-speed box or maybe a quadbox. I think a quadbox with two speed transfer case could be really neat to drive.

Engine5

If the problem keeps up I can fix it for you. A road trip from your place to my place. I have room for 1 more gutless turd in my driveway. I hate to see a fellow mv collector in stress. I will do this at no cost. Heck I will even fly out to your place. Just thowing it out there. I love my gutless turds.:twisted::twisted::twisted:

shovelheadi

Gutless turd or just a big deuce?

Turn up the pump. No big deal. It takes 10 min. We did it on the way home in a pair of 109's. We went over the big bridge in LA in fourth. i still never went over 55 though. I like the rods inside the block. Look at the pictures and make thin wrenches. It will Help tons. put on the new filters and don't use crap diesel. I lost 5mph with fuel from a different station. ood ol Texas fuel runs better than LA.

scooter01922

Well mine is no speed demon but i dunno about gutless turd. May want to check your filters, install a pyro and then make sure the pump is giving you adequate fuel. If it is still a gutless turd you can learn to love it or drop in a nice cummins :-D

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
While you are considering making more speed also consider more brakes.
The drums will heat up quick if you do a lot of quick deceleration.
If some idiot in a Honda pulls out in front of you do you really want to kill him (no matter how how richly he deserves it)?
There are kits to put disc brakes on Rockwells.....prob be worth the time and expence considering the cost of lawyers.

bassetdeuce

Guess mine is just wierd then. Leaks plenty of oil, lots of blowby out of the draft tube, but runs very STRONG for a truck of this size. Mine really wants to go faster than 60 (55 indicated) even uphill, but I don't let it. Perhaps it has been turned up already?

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Hmmm, mine does 60 and still has a third of the throttle left. :wink: Then again, it aint a 109.
LDS model engines are designed to rev up to 2800-2900rpm so that would explain the differences to some degree. My software says that a 5spd Od box and LDS reving up to 2900rpm tops out 64mph with stock tires of 40inches in diameter. RPM is important.

Last edited:

Flea

It's sure not going to win any races, but have you driven a new IH 4300 with a DT466 and an auto? It's not much faster.

It DOES, however, have more than enough huevos to do what it was designed to do. Personally, I enjoy the leisurely pace. It slows the world down a little and I tend to notice things I missed before zipping by twice as fast.

Mark3395

I typically run 50 on the Interstate and try to maintain 55 on secondaries.

At 50 I only have to worry about passing somebody at an on ramp... and I really try to avoid that unless somebody's reall stupid. Impatient folks passing on the right make it hard to get back over sometimes.

Amazing how much more relaxing it is to be driving 50. 'Course the odd impatient idiot gets his panties in a wad. That's why we sit so high in a deuce. To see over their wreckage.

zak

These truck were designed almost 60 years ago now and high speed roads were rare. Its function was to serve the best in in a war setting both on and off road. Now for an average auction price of $3000 bucks or less, its a pretty good deal. Get something new if you have the need for speed or be content to stay in the right lane.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Adding larger tires will definitely kill any power that you have now. These trucks were designed to spend their lives offroad. As such, the designers assumed the trucks would be driven through rough terrain at slow speeds (less than 30 mph). If you look at their intended purpose, they have plenty of low speed torque to accomplish the mission for which they were designed.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmm, mine does 60 and still has a third of the throttle left. :wink: Then again, it aint a 109.
My 109 will do 57 MPH at 2600 RPM floored. Then again, the faster I get there, the less time I get to spend behind the wheel. Came down the Cajon Pass at 40-45 in 4th gear - didn't need much brakes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks