• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

H1 beadlocks on my M1008?

greenmachine001

Hey guys how's it goin? I'm lookin to put some h1 wheels and some 37inch baja commercial ta's on my M1008 but I've heard some things that's got me concerened. I've heard spacers,some kind of adapters,or recentering the wheels is necessary to get them to fit? I definitely don't want to recenter the wheel because the biggest reason I want h1 wheels are the awesome look and beadlock. Would rather not do adapters. Would spacers work? Why couldn't I just bolt them straight up and go with it? Thanks

truck1

They will rub on your steering linkage. There is a compromise . You can still run your Baja TA's if you find some stock 70's era Chevy 16.5 " x 8.5 wheels used at your local wrecker or tire shop. That's what I run for my 37's. New 16.5 inch wheels are also still made. Check Four Wheel Parts or Summit Racing.

Zenk

They will rub on your steering linkage. There is a compromise . You can still run your Baja TA's if you find some stock 70's era Chevy 16.5 " x 8.5 wheels used at your local wrecker or tire shop. That's what I run for my 37's. New 16.5 inch wheels are also still made. Check Four Wheel Parts or Summit Racing.
I've looked everywhere for the stock steel 16.5x8.5 wheels and they are near impossible to find. In addition, the new 16.5" steel wheels sold on the net like Summit Racing only have a 2,000 lbs load rating (way below our trucks capacity).

truck1

I found mine on Craigslist and a local tire shop. They were straight, rust free and beefy. They are out there. I believe the old Ford rims will work also. Mine are Chevy camper specials. They were designed for cab over campers. The 7-7.5 wide stock wheels will also work on the 37's.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found mine on Craigslist and a local tire shop. They were straight, rust free and beefy. They are out there. I believe the old Ford rims will work also. Mine are Chevy camper specials. They were designed for cab over campers. The 7-7.5 wide stock wheels will also work on the 37's.
Older Ford wheels will work on a GM product but GM wheels won't fit a Ford. Ford has a larger center opening than GM .
A good website for finding used parts is www.car-part.com .

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many run them with spacers. If you take the time to scroll down to the bottom of the page, the site has already done some searching for you and put up several related threads. Go forth and read/learn.

beltfedonly

Greenmachine,
I have the 2 inch spacers with the nuts that you need. They are new and I will take $100.00 for the pair.
Just don't need them.
Let me know.
Beltfed

Skinny

The only factory steel wheels I know of are Ford 8 luggers. The 70's to 80's vintage are 9.75" while the 90's (pre Super Duty) are around 8" wide. Very difficult to find the wide ones by me...I hunt the down on Craigslist and snatch them up. If I needed the headlock function, I would not hesitate to run OEM HMMWV rims with spacers as long as they are legal in your state and you understand the issues like checking torque often.

greenmachine001

Beltfedonly,I will definitely send you a pm on those spacers if I decide to go that way.

Why do people seem more favorable of running dually hubs in the front and spacers in the rear? Is spacers all way around not a good idea? Or do I not need spacers in the rear?

Also are the dana 60 dually hubs not hard to find? What size spacer would I need to run in the rear to match the dually hubs in the front?

Sorry guys I'm totally new to the h1 beadlocks on cucv's.

thanks

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You really should read the links at the bottom of the page. So much has been provided to you if you just take a look. Pics and all!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I personally run 24 bolt HMMWV rims and tires on my 1008. I picked up a set of used spacers (3"). But as many have pointed out, 2-2.5" spacers work fine. Checking the torque on them is key though. When I went from 8 bolts to 24 bolts, they were a little loose (adapters).

greenmachine001

So I browsed around a bit and there is quite a few guys going with the HMMWV wheels. Think I'm gonna do 2-2 1/2 inch spacers. Would billet aluminum be alright or would they be more prone to become loose more than the steel ones?

Are the dually hubs difficult to find for the front?

If I went with the dually hubs do they have to be for a Dana60? And would 2 1/2 inch spacers on the rear be alright with the dually hubs?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dually hubs are not that difficult to find. More folks looking for the single wheel stuff. The 2 1/2" spacers would be just fine for the rear. Many run aluminum ones with no problems but I would caution you to through a few re-tightening sequences on them. You would have to get the dually hubs from a GM 60 front IIRC.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks