• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

H1 double beadlocks on an M1009???

BigGriz86

Hey everyone, just to preface, i did a search on this and didnt find anything, so i apologize if im bringing up old news here.

Im the proud owner of a 1986 M1009 Blazer. Im lining up a bunch of upgrades for the next year or so, to do in stages, and im doing homework and collecting parts right now. One thing im looking at is the Hummer style double beadlock rims.

I will be putting 8 lug axles in the truck, and have been doing my homework on that, but what i wanted to know, is can i run the standard 7in backspacing of these rims on my blazer? i have read most people doing this swap get recentered rims with a 4in backspacing, but i really prefer the military look of the uncut rims. I just dont know if they will work with that 7in backspacing.

I will be replacing the 1/2 ton 10 bolts with a 14 bolt rear, and either an 8 lug 10 bolt front or D44 front. the 14 bolt in the rear may be converted to disk brakes. my truck isnt really serious enough or abused enough to warrant a D60 front right now.

Any help you guys can offer is greatly appriciated, i figure if anyone knew if this would work it would be the members of this forum

-erik

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use spacers. There are several quality ones out there and lots of folks here running them with the HMMWV wheels in stock form.

BigGriz86

thats great news, thanks for the reply, ill do a quick google search on my own to find out details, but im assuming ill need to run longer lugs, or they are built in.

Im assuming if guys on here are doing it, its also concidered strong enough to be safe. the idea of wheel spacers are new to me. to the internet....

thanks again.

BigGriz86

ok, last question i hope, im lookin on ebay, and see lots of spacers. but to get to the reccomended 4-4.5 backspacing, i gotta spend alot of money... bout 300 plus shipping, there are some 2in spacers, which would give me a 5in backspacing, is that safe on the m1009 do you think? two pair would only set me back about 150 plus shipping.

AJMBLAZER

Personally I don't like spacers. Heard of too many folks loosing them wheeling over on www.ColoradoK5.com . However some here seem to have good luck with them. It's your truck, it's your choice.

5" of backspacing would be about a half inch more backspacing than the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks came with stock. However since the rim is wider it would extend farther out away from the axle. Only thing that I would worry about was the driver side front tire rubbing the drag link when you turn hard right. If you go to crossover steering though the problem is eliminated.

M1075

BigGriz86 said:
ok, last question i hope, im lookin on ebay, and see lots of spacers. but to get to the reccomended 4-4.5 backspacing, i gotta spend alot of money... bout 300 plus shipping, there are some 2in spacers, which would give me a 5in backspacing, is that safe on the m1009 do you think? two pair would only set me back about 150 plus shipping.
2" spacers is what I have used on two different M1008s. They work great. Are they safe? Not as safe as not having spacers. I paid about $120 per pair. Make sure you order the right ones.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks