• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

H1 heated glass in hard top HMMWV windshield frame?

par0thead151

I have a 998 thats being converted to a slant back.
the windshield frame i have is for a hard top but does not use the defrost vents to defrost as the windshields are heated on some hmmwv's apparently.

this makes me wonder if i should just spent the 1200$ for a heated windshield and use the frame i have now. i like the idea of a heated windshield as well as UV./glare protection that the H1 windshields offer.
does anyone now if these will fit?
also if so, I need to find the bracket that holds the glass in place as my frame did not come with that.
i will peruse the TM's tonight for the part # that is for the bracket. mostly im curious if the glass will fit, and if it is 24V or 12V
i assume 12V as H1 is civilian and it would make more sense to be 12V
thanks

Action

Humvees that have heated windshields have glass that is like 3" thick. Defrost would not reach the outside of those.
You have the wrong windshield frame. Get the hardtop frame that has the vents in it. The glass opening is the same for civilian and Humvee. If you do that, then you will need to find 12v, a switch, resistor, etc...Much cheaper to just get the correct part and sell the one you do not need.
The hardtop windshield frame with no vents goes in a humvee that has a/c.

par0thead151

Humvees that have heated windshields have glass that is like 3" thick. Defrost would not reach the outside of those.
You have the wrong windshield frame. Get the hardtop frame that has the vents in it. The glass opening is the same for civilian and Humvee. If you do that, then you will need to find 12v, a switch, resistor, etc...Much cheaper to just get the correct part and sell the one you do not need.
The hardtop windshield frame with no vents goes in a humvee that has a/c.
The only problem is no one seems to have the windshield frame that I need. Also a side question while I was installing the gaskets and still prepping to put the hardtop on I noticed that the gasket right at the windshield top where it meets the hardtop the metal piece and the gasket that are riveted together that one is about 3 to 4 inches short to line up with the holes on the windshield frame.

TedG

You are describing an M1151/52/65/67 frame, which have no vents. They use a plastic external plenum to deliver air to the glass. You need and M1025/26/44/45 frame which is identical to the soft top frame except for corner mounts and snubbed holes. You can buy the mounts and plug the snubbed holes. Or, buy the correct hard top frame. The e-ay site has them from time to time.

Action

A civy frame may have the tabs in the correct positions, just the back of the "cups" are cutout for rollbars.
Buy one of the $50 softtop frames and cut the bottom vent sections out and put in hardtop frame. 4 straight welds and you are done.

par0thead151

A civy frame may have the tabs in the correct positions, just the back of the "cups" are cutout for rollbars.
Buy one of the $50 softtop frames and cut the bottom vent sections out and put in hardtop frame. 4 straight welds and you are done.

i think il just do this as i already have a soft top frame that was on the truck. il add these when i repaint the vehicle.
i still need to find a windshield bracket that fits the M1151/52/65/67 frame
I also am at a loss as to where i can find the slant back EIN numbers for the gaskets other than the one under the sponsons or the windshield one.

par0thead151

it appears that i can also add the ducting to blow on the windshield, like in the below photo.
i bet thats cheaper than a new heated windshield.
now to find the NSN and source a place to buy it

Attachments

Last edited:

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
it appears that i can also add the ducting to blow on the windshield, like in the below photo.
i bet thats cheaper than a new heated windshield.
now to find the NSN and source a place to buy it
Its not in stock at a dealer, but if it was....$ 793.00

Action

And that is just for the duct. It doesn't hook up properly to the heater core you have.
Many more expensive parts needed to hook it up.
You could get a hair dryer with a cigarette plug on iy.

TedG

parothead151, i will send you a pm. I have some used components that may work for you, just need some gluing, etc.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks