• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

H1 vs. HMMWV?

aximony

From purely a performance and durability point of view, if we took a 1995 H1 and a 1995 HMMWV (any variant), would there be any difference between the two?

Now, I know that the A2 series and later the A2 ECVs got a different body and some upgrades to the suspension, frame and body.

So, would a 2005 H1 have the same "upgrades" as an A2 HMMWV?

B3.3T

The A2 is designed for heavier loads, much more than the H1. Lets compare an F-150 with an F-350.

Stalwart

The first Civilian Hummers had a much heavier suspension and better hubs then the HMMWV. Mine has a 2 ton payload, I added a 3,600 lb pallet of concrete and the rear of the truck squatted about 2" making it sit level. On later H1's they lightened the suspension capability and only offered the HD suspension as an option. The up armored HMMWV is more robust yet.

Ryanhooker

The A2 is designed for heavier loads, much more than the H1. Lets compare an F-150 with an F-350.
Wow, Hold up. The 150 and 350 are not even in the same family. There is nothing even close on them. Its more like a 2500 vs a 3500. or a new wrangler and a J8.

They came down the same line. There where diffrent parts used. H1 is a more refined and uses a softer ride. The Hmmwv use stiffer springs for pay load, which means pain in ass ride.

The H1 frame is not reinforced to allow for deformation in a wreck. The Hmmwv has extra plates bolted to the frame to help with payload. Which will not bend as easy in a wreck.

The H1 body is the same as the Hmmwv. But does not have the reinforcements of the hmmwv.

The diffs are higher gear in an H1. The Hmmwv is lower for off road use.

In other words

Hmmwv=Pepsi
H1= Diet pepsi

Stalwart

But in the case with the EARLY H1's ('92 & '93), the civilian units had heavier suspension, the same gear ratio, and better hubs than the Mil-Spec units. I have a '93 with 20k miles in the original CARC 383 green collecting dust.

Attachments

papaydsailor

But in the case with the EARLY H1's ('92 & '93), the civilian units had heavier suspension, the same gear ratio, and better hubs than the Mil-Spec units. I have a '93 with 20k miles in the original CARC 383 green collecting dust.
does that one has ABS or not yet on that year? all you have to do is change the lights to make it look like the mil hmmwv although it wont have the capability of deep water fording of more than 30 because its wiring design is not water proof.

Stalwart

The wiring is fine, it needs the snorkle is all. It also has the plugs in the floor to let the water out too. WAY too early for ABS, it doesn't even have power windows or door locks. :wink:

david1092

How did you end up with a green carc hummer, the originals where all tan?

ABS went in in 1999

FYI, the hummer was really the "heavy" hummer - bigger half shafts and a high speed t-case, more like the A2 than the first generation HMWV's. In around 1995 they started to install the variable rate springs in the rear for a softer ride. The springs are all breaking now at the small coils on the top.

Stalwart

How did you end up with a green carc hummer, the originals where all tan?
1992 Civi ones were tan. In 1993 you could get (from memory, so some might be off) Tan, Black, Red, White, Forrest Green and CARC 383 green. Only about 20 were ordered with CARC 383 green, 3/4 complained it wouldn't shine, so they dropped the color. When I ordered mine, Woodland Camo was offered but none were built, their lawyers thought actual camo might be lawsuit material in an accident i.e. "I didn't see it."

aximony

So in summary:

Early model H1s (1992 + ) were actually more suited for off road use than their military counterparts during the same period (1984 - 1995)

But, in 1995, the military A2 humvees started adopting many of the mechanical features of the H1s of previous years, while the H1s (1995 + ) coinciding with the newly designed A2, were actually a step backward in terms of design.

Now that I think about it, what's the incentive to purchase or own an early model humvee instead of an early model H1? Is it price?

dilvoy

Stalwart, I really like your Hummer! In my opinion it's fully deserving of being one of the vehicles on your list of vehicles. I had heard that some CARC Green Hummers had been built, but I had never even seen a foto of one. Your's looks like a two man version. Is that what it is?

PeterD

So in summary:

Early model H1s (1992 + ) were actually more suited for off road use than their military counterparts during the same period (1984 - 1995)

But, in 1995, the military A2 humvees started adopting many of the mechanical features of the H1s of previous years, while the H1s (1995 + ) coinciding with the newly designed A2, were actually a step backward in terms of design.

Now that I think about it, what's the incentive to purchase or own an early model humvee instead of an early model H1? Is it price?
AM General was smart and used the civilian H1 as a test bed for many of the military upgrades that they wanted to do. The civilian owners were able to beat them as badly as the military GIs, (and I've pictures to prove it).

I think most of the HMMWV owners are more into authentic military vehicles more than anything else.

True story: About three years ago, I was driving back in my white 95 (from a week at AM General in South Bend) and in New York state, noticed a GI hitch hiking. As a vet, there was no way he was not getting a ride, slammed on the brakes, and he got in.

He was a high ranking EM, on his 'terminal leave' before retiring. We talked for a while, then things got quiet (I'm a quiet guy...) I looked over and noticed his eyes seemed to mist over.

I asked "Is there anything wrong?"

His reply said it all: "I never realized how nice these things could be!"

We laughed, parted ways at a point where I knew he'd get a ride to his final destination (Boston) and I headed off to Vermont.

:grd:

(I always wanted to use that emoticon!)

dilvoy

Mine's a 4 door hard top with aftermarket slant back. Old pic of it.
A four door is even better! I'm making my humvee into something that will look similar to your Hummer. I found out that AMG put some civi tops on some humvees. One model was the M1097 Cargo Troop which what mine will pretty much look like, except that I will sometimes have a Snugtop rear cargo cover, which will make it look like a Station Wagon Hummer.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks