• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

H1 wheels on M1028

Meen Green

I want H1 8stud steel wheels and goodyear 37x12.5-16.5 tires on my M1028, I don't have the truck lifted yet so i know the tire will not fit, however i know the bolt pattern is the same, but is there any other reason the wheels will not fit on my truck?? Is the offset wrong? I am sure lots of people have done this before, i just don't want to own a set of wheels that will not fit on my truck. Any infor is greatly appreciated

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Offset won't allow a good fit but spacers can correct that. Many throw stones at spacers but if done right, they do work.

hobie237

The biggest issue is the severe backspacing. You'll need (at a minimum) 2" spacers. I've heard rumblings about using dually hubs, but don't have any details. You don't need much lift for those tires, maybe 1" in the front, fender trimming should take care of most of the clearance issues.

davo727

I read on pirate4x4 that the 37 in radials wont mount on unmodified 8 bolt H1 wheels. The run flat is too wide. And the bead is thicker on the radial and the wheel bolts wont tighten up before the run flat is contacted.

The 8 bolt work with the 36 in bias tires and 12 bolt H1 work with the 37 in radials.

hobie237

I think when the OP said "8 stud" he meant 8-lug. The 37" tires are commonly available already mounted on a set of wheels, which are often the 12-bolt beadlocks.

Jetnoise400

The 8 stud wheel is for the bias ply tires, and the 12 stud wheel is for the radials. The 8 lug wheel pattern will bolt on the CUCV, but spacing is an entirely different issue.

Hope that helps.

Meen Green

Guy's thanks alot for the info, i don't want to run a spacer so i guess the whole idea is scrapped. Glad i asked before i purchased anything!!! Also i did not know that the bias and radial tires had to be put on a specific wheel. I was looking at the 8stud wheel and surplus radial tire. Thanks again for keeping me from making a huge mistake!

aboonski

I would just like to get wider tires on my M1008 and have the 12-stud H1 rims sitting in my garage. I still have to buy spacers but wonder if there are wider tires that will go on the H1 rims which will not require lifting the truck. I got stuck in the mud once when running through Holopaw and it was scarry! If Lavarok had not been there to pull me ut with his deuce I would have had to drop my tire pressure down to 10 pounds to get out of that mess!

tvguy

Guy's thanks alot for the info, i don't want to run a spacer so i guess the whole idea is scrapped. Glad i asked before i purchased anything!!! Also i did not know that the bias and radial tires had to be put on a specific wheel. I was looking at the 8stud wheel and surplus radial tire. Thanks again for keeping me from making a huge mistake!
If you don't want to run spacers you have two options: 1) get the Hummer wheels recentered. Here's a link to a vendor on Pirate that recenters H1's to give you some idea of costs . . . RECENTERED H1 Special!!!! - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

or 2) install dually hubs on your front 60, and swap in a DRW rear axle (could be a 14 bolt or Dana 70HD) with SRW hubs. I'm thinking about this option for my M1031. Here's what it looks like (stole this pic from CK5) . . .

Attachments

Last edited:

aboonski

Thanks for the info! I'll probably just go with the spacers and see if I an find some lower profile tires for the H1 rims to eliminate lifting the vehicle. It looks great to lift a CUCV but I'm a little guy and it is already hard to mount up as it is!

Croatan_Kid

The 37" radials will fit on the older style 8-bolt rims just fine. I had some on my rims before I got some Swamper SXs. The runflats might be a different width, but everything still works.

cucvrus

https://youtu.be/cWHmYOaHh5w I wanted to post this video. This was a set of HMMWV wheels with the bias ply tires. My son ran them on his lifted M1028A1 with out spacers. He reversed the wheels and ran them backwards. We weld the valve stem hole shut and re-drilled it on the inside. They ran great and lasted till the tires wore out. Someone else sen them when we were wheeling and bought them from him. We still have 4 more of the bias ply wheels that we can use if the need arises. Just wanted to share these videos. I found them while looking for other things.

cucvrus

IDK. But he ran them from new till bald. All I did was weld the old valve stem holes shut. Drilled a hole on the inside and used bolt style valve stems. It was not my truck. i really don't bother much with the modifications. As he and you all know I am NOT a fan of modifications. He said it worked and that is all I can attest to.

Last edited:

cucvrus

I was there that day. That is near Rausch Creek. Trevorton Pennsylvania. We spent about 5 hours there and finally the guy in the stuck truck would not run the engine anymore because it was not getting any oil to the oil pump because it was leaning so hard the the left. All I know is when I left and came back at dark the truck was still sitting in the mud stuck. It poured down rain all night and we left in the morning and it was still stuck. I seen a lot of nice trucks and vehicles having the crap beat out of them the entire weekend. I drove my M1009 and never spent any time stuck. I went everywhere the group went. Of course not thru the center of the mud holes. I don't like mud churning in the doors. Terminus M1009 that is different. But I did not have Terminus M1009 back then. Sorry but you tube has lots of Trevorton mud fest pictures. Happy Holidays.

beltfedonly

I have the spacers available that you will need for the front axle. You do not need any for the rear axle. They are new and come with the lug nuts.
$100 for them.
Beltfed

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks