• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

H4 Headlight Conversion

jdoktor83

Powerstroken: I did my 24v hid conversion to my m35a3. It turned out great. I believe they are better or brighter than the LED style. I got my kit off ebay. Type in 24v bixenon HID. All the ballasts and high/low beam module fit under the a3's light shroud. I had to lengthen the wire to the other headlight because of the longer distance. Also pull a wire from the + on the battery to the ballast. The hids I got were 8-32v I believe.

Jeeper10

Just some notes on doing the headlight H4 conversion

I just completed my headlight conversion to H4 headlights. Very simple process and I thought I'd just share what I learned in hopes it helps out others a bit.
Dorman 84790 hd harness (autozone) they had a couple choices and I went with a heavy duty one as were dealing with a 24V system and I'm using 70/75W bulbs.
7" universal H4 housing and bulbs
Green wire to 18 wire Red Wire to 17 wire
Black wire to 91 wire
I spliced the above together, and used heat shrink tubing
The whole thing took about 20 minutes. The attached image shows the new lamp on the driver side in the original one on the passenger side. I'm looking forward to driving it at night and see what a difference there is.

Attachments

Last edited:

jbayer

I just completed my headlight conversion to H4 headlights. Very simple process and I thought I'd just share what I learned in hopes it helps out others a bit.
Dorman 84790 hd harness (autozone) they had a couple choices and I went with a heavy duty one as were dealing with a 24V system and I'm using 70/75W bulbs.
7" universal H4 housing and bulbs
Green wire to 18 wire Red Wire to 17 wire
Black wire to 91 wire
I spliced the above together, and used heat shrink tubing
The whole thing took about 20 minutes. The attached image shows the new lamp on the driver side in the original one on the passenger side. I'm looking forward to driving it at night and see what a difference there is.
Looks Good Jeeper10.
Definetely brighter. Have a PN for the housings? Are the lens glass or plastic? Are the housing's plastic, or metal.
I'd like to do this mod too.

Last edited:

Jeeper10

Looks Good Jeeper10.
Definetely brighter. Have a PN for the housings? Are the lens glass or plastic? Are the housing's plastic, or metal.
I'd like to do this mod too.
they are glass with metal housing.
Purchased from octane lighting on eBay, but there are a variety available.

Attachments

gottaluvit

they are glass with metal housing.
Purchased from octane lighting on eBay, but there are a variety available.
Thats the exact ones I got. One of the indents for the three alignment "humps" were off a hair, but a little file work fixed that. The original bulbs that came with the octane housings won't last long on vibration, but I did have excessive vibration on driver's side which I corrected. Replacement bulbs are cheap and you can get just about any brand you like. I got nib Volvo bulbs at $21.60/3 ea. off ebay recently off of qpd316. He has two left. I just checked. Just get to the seller and search "volvo h4".

rustystud

Just remember to use "ceramic" pigtails. This light makes a lot of heat. I melted my first ones, then went and bought the ceramic plug and they have worked great ever since.

gottaluvit

Just remember to use "ceramic" pigtails. This light makes a lot of heat. I melted my first ones, then went and bought the ceramic plug and they have worked great ever since.
Funny thing I did was not realize the pigtails I bought were ceramic and I broke one. Oops. Then I unknowingly ordered one from a seller that was in China and it took like six weeks to get to me. Glad I don't drive mine in the dark, except at Winter when dark comes in the afternoon.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks