• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hack-job crew cab CUCV?

BTC70

I think your best bet is to watch eBay and craigslist until something close to what you want comes up (a 1973-1987 4x4 crew cab 3/4 ton or 1 ton SRW with a 6.2 diesel). It shouldn't take too long before you see what you want - and it won't cost an arm and a leg plus be a headache to make it into what you want. There's nothing magical about CUCVs - they're specifically optioned Chevrolet regular cab 1-ton pickups with a few special order items (24v starter system, brush guard, tie downs, blackout lights) that are of no use to you in reality. Oh, and don't forget to look under GMC also.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think your best bet is to watch eBay and craigslist until something close to what you want comes up (a 1973-1987 4x4 crew cab 3/4 ton or 1 ton SRW with a 6.2 diesel). It shouldn't take too long before you see what you want - and it won't cost an arm and a leg plus be a headache to make it into what you want. There's nothing magical about CUCVs - they're specifically optioned Chevrolet regular cab 1-ton pickups with a few special order items (24v starter system, brush guard, tie downs, blackout lights) that are of no use to you in reality. Oh, and don't forget to look under GMC also.
These don't pop up too often. Even less with the 6.2. I've been looking for a while. Finding one without rust is even tougher. When you do find them, they are close to an arm and a leg.

Pagan

If you have a railroad in your area, see if they are selling the vehicle you seek, as most such companies sell off used vehicles occasionally. Railroads and utilities use a lot of crew cab 1 tons. Sometimes they also sell them to area auto dealers, who then detail them and up the price 100% or so. The power company trucks would likely be the best option. The other problem you will likely encounter with the 1 tons is people buying them for the Dana 60 running gear, to make rock crawlers. I have two of these crew cabs, a '77 and an '80 Chevrolet 1 tons, (to be parted out.) I average one guy every three weeks trying to buy one or both trucks. Most eventually admit they want them for the front and rear ends. Good luck on finding your truck. Pagan

Skinny

A 2wd to 4wd swap would be killer. Not only do you get a truck that probably hasn't seen as much road salt through the winter but the price is thousands less. When you do the frontend with leafs, you are already set up for high steer. Drop a Ford hi pinion D60 with crossover and it's good to go.

Kfgk14

A 2wd to 4wd swap would be killer. Not only do you get a truck that probably hasn't seen as much road salt through the winter but the price is thousands less. When you do the frontend with leafs, you are already set up for high steer. Drop a Ford hi pinion D60 with crossover and it's good to go.
Hmmmm...didn't even think about the high-steer angle...are the 2wd frames the same as the 4wd frames, just with spring hangers?

ODdave

The frames are not the same. It can be converted but there are many differences. One being the steering box is NOT in the same location, Also the rear spring hangers are different (about 2 in shorter).

Cucvnut

People on pirate do this cab swap all the time. Go look in the Chevy tech section. This is not the correct site for doing what u want to do.

cscmc1

Might watch your state's DOT sales, too -- I have seen several crew cab trucks in the classic blaze orange color of the Illinois DOT run through the local county auctions over the years. Might be hard to find one decent one, but worth a try!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks